The Planted Tank Forum banner

What fish to keep w/shrimp?

2469 18
Have some cherry red shrimp on the way. I want to later add bumble bee & black forest shrimp as well.

It's just an 8g tank so I only plan to add a small amount of fish.

What small fish can be kept w/the shrimp?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,992 Posts
tiger oscars, arowana, golden wonder killies

Just kidding!

otocinclus catfish are good and wont eat your shrimp

If you can stomach seeing some of your shrimp die, you can get some celestial pearl danios, cardinals, rasboras, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,992 Posts
An 8g tank is way too small for any of these species.
?

An 8g tank is too small for CPDs? Someone tell my CPD's that! They think they're in heaven. Wait... Don't tell them, they might stop breeding!

Joking aside, just about any schooling fish (neons, rasboras, danios) wont be happy in a cube or short tank, but lots of people don't care. There's a pet store by me that has a mature tiger oscar in a 30g, the thing can barely move, but it survives.

I don't recommend ever keeping fish with shrimp, because it never ends very well. (for the shrimp, that is)

-- liam

·
Registered
262 Posts
i have guppies and least killifish in with mine and havnt had any issues (knock on wood)...also i would suggest a fish that tends to stay in the top water column to lessen your chances but like these guys have said otos are definitly the only 100% safe fish...as for any other fish it all depends on how you feed them and each fish's personality...each fish will react different to shrimp...but the more planted the tank is the higher the chances of shrimplets making it to adulthood

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I finally just saw one of my Gertrudaes eat a new shrimplet yesterday. They suck at hunting them though. At like two or three weeks the baby shrimp are actually too big to fit in their mouths, and don't give the fish much respect. Of course, my fish suck at catching them in the first place :biggrin:

Anyway, a small handful of Gertrudaes are interesting pretty nano fish that would work if the tank isn't a total jungle. They like swimming room, but can fit into pretty much any nook and cranny.

Yes, I will always boast about my tiny rainbows! I think they are awesome and totally under appreciated!

·
Registered
333 Posts
?

An 8g tank is too small for CPDs? Someone tell my CPD's that! They think they're in heaven. Wait... Don't tell them, they might stop breeding!

Joking aside, just about any schooling fish (neons, rasboras, danios) wont be happy in a cube or short tank, but lots of people don't care. There's a pet store by me that has a mature tiger oscar in a 30g, the thing can barely move, but it survives.

I don't recommend ever keeping fish with shrimp, because it never ends very well. (for the shrimp, that is)

-- liam
You said your's were happy, so your tank isn't a cube or short? Just trying to see what's appropriate for them.

Also, aren't some of the more recently available rasboras ok in an 8 gallon? They are awfully tiny fish and I think they would be fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.