The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im still running my 12 gallon JBJ tank.

I have:
wisteria whole back ground
alotof blyxa japonica
anubus.
4 cory peppers
3 ottos
Co2 DIY with reactor
Dry dose EI method
50% water change
ph stick around 6.7-7.0
temp: 80 degrees.

This tank has been running since september I think, I only had one otto die due to a bad batch from the LFS.

Im thinking of getting some fish. I was going to get another cory but it seems to be getting crowded on the bottom of the tank, the corys got to about an inch and a half in length.

im thinking of:
guppy (which kind there is a few of them)
pencil fish

I dont want a schooling fish cause I dont think i can get to many more fish in the tank.

What you guys think? There is alot of guppys, especially differnt kinds. Anyone recommend any?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Guppy(f) + Guppy(m) * Planted Tank + 80 degrees = Large school.:hihi:
I was going to say the same thing, my uncle started out with 4 guppy, and within 6 months he had so many he could not keep count. You can stuck your hand in and scoup out several dozen.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was going to say the same thing, my uncle started out with 4 guppy, and within 6 months he had so many he could not keep count. You can stuck your hand in and scoup out several dozen.
I had a 10g and put in 4. 6 months later I was removing 25-30 a month of them and "trading" them for stuff I needed at my LFS.

Them suckers are worse than rabbbbbitttttts......:icon_smil:icon_smil

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
haha if i were going to put a guppy, i was just going to do 1 for that reason.
Just like in Jurassic park. They will find a way lol. Start out with 1, then get confused when you find 50 lol

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I actually have 2 Guppies (Used to be four but the males died) and about 4 Golden Pencilfish (Nannostomus beckfordi) and they are great! They are really awesome fish and it's a great combo. The only thing is, the pencilfish have small mouths so having guppies that will eat everything is gonna suck for the pencils.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guppies or ??

I think you would enjoy adding some other fish to your tank.

There are lots of possibilities including the ones already mentioned. I would suggest you be a bit careful not to overstock the tank.

I have a Betta in a similar tank and he is lots of fun. I have also kept a pair of Black Phantom Tetras in a similar tank (they are one of the tetras that can be kept as a pair but you must either keep 2 females or 1 ea male and female).

·
Registered
567 Posts
You could go with only male guppies, to avoid the breeding problem.

What about threadfin rainbowfish? They're small and very neat little fish. You could do a trio of them and still have plenty of room for something else like your pencilfish. They school sometimes and sometimes do their own thing. They're a little more unusual than guppies at least. Or if you're looking for something really different, try a more uncommon small rainbow like signifer or gertrudae.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could go with only male guppies, to avoid the breeding problem.

What about threadfin rainbowfish? They're small and very neat little fish. You could do a trio of them and still have plenty of room for something else like your pencilfish. They school sometimes and sometimes do their own thing. They're a little more unusual than guppies at least. Or if you're looking for something really different, try a more uncommon small rainbow like signifer or gertrudae.
I read up on the rainbowfish and they seem to get rather large...

I looked around today and found no pencil fish.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I keep a bunch of 4 male fancy guppies in a 5g tank and can only recommend them. Like Church said, it's hard to get crazy about guppies - they've just been too ubiquitous. But they look nice, they stay in the upper stratum, they do their silly little guppy dances all day, and are overall just super-pleasant fish. I like them a lot.

There is a member on this board who has wonderful mixed-breed guppies. Now, if I just remembered his name...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.