The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta certainly like the internet says, lives long,
its now about 3 years old, it have gone a weird transformation from black to red.

The fish tank is kinda empty, its just him or her alone, i know betta are best kept alone, but if i wanna try out put in some companions for my betta, what would be the best choice to make her active or "alive" again?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
What size tank?
What filter?
Other water movement? (Bubbler, power head...)
What decor, plants, rock, wood?
What substrate?
What GH, etc?

Some Bettas attack everything else in the tank. Some are OK with fish that swim lower in the tank. No other Anabantoids.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Bettas as an ornamental are kinda slow, deliberate fish. It might be that your water temperature is a bit low, but there could be other factors at play here.

You really want to see a sedate fish, the Round Tailed Paradise Fish (Macropodus Ocellatus) is really a sort-of 'boring' ornamental. They also like cooler waters and tend to have a lower metabolism.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it is a large tank (and I mean large, greater than 10 gallons) there are a couple different options. I've successfully kept bettas with cory cats, tetras like neons, nerite snails, otocinclus, plecos, platys, shrimp, etc. It depends on the personality of the fish. Some love the company, others do not. If your tank is only 2.5 - 10 gallons the only suitable tank mates are snails due to the limited amount of room.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I do not keep betta fish, but I do have to ask this: If your betta is soooo boring and you want to liven things up, why not try to find it a loving home and move on to different fish? If you don't like something and have to take care of it, it eventually becomes a chore and nobody likes chores. Neglect may follow. Your fish is approaching the end of its average lifespan and it has spent its whole life in a tank, whether in yours or someone elses and I say that it has earned the right to be boring if it wants to be. The only thing that I can think of to help you otherwise is to follow the established guidelines on introducing a member or members of the opposite sex. A three year old betta has a shot at passing on the Longevity Gene(s). Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bettas as an ornamental are kinda slow, deliberate fish. It might be that your water temperature is a bit low, but there could be other factors at play here.

You really want to see a sedate fish, the Round Tailed Paradise Fish (Macropodus Ocellatus) is really a sort-of 'boring' ornamental. They also like cooler waters and tend to have a lower metabolism.

My betta was very active when it was black colour, after it turned red, it becomes stop moving, and rest most of the time.

Bump:
If it is a large tank (and I mean large, greater than 10 gallons) there are a couple different options. I've successfully kept bettas with cory cats, tetras like neons, nerite snails, otocinclus, plecos, platys, shrimp, etc. It depends on the personality of the fish. Some love the company, others do not. If your tank is only 2.5 - 10 gallons the only suitable tank mates are snails due to the limited amount of room.
15 gallons.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Compared to Tetras or Barbs my Betta was 'sedate', it would swim at times, but most times it liked to lurk without moving in the Water Sprite. Mine was a 1970's Veil-fin Blue. I didn't think mine was boring, more Zen-like, contemplative.

The Paradise fish, on the other hand, a busy day for it would be to thread it's way a few inches though the plants and glare at me, as if to say "OK, where's my food?"

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Beautiful Paradise Fish!

Obviously not a tank mate for the Betta. though.
Also separated by a couple of years and a different tank. We used to have a little mom-pop run LFS decades ago that had all sorts of oddities, Lamp-eye Killies, Festivums, all sorts of odd Anbantiods like Croaking Gouramies, Mexican Goodeids, rare tetras.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size tank?
What filter?
Other water movement? (Bubbler, power head...)
What decor, plants, rock, wood?
What substrate?
What GH, etc?

Some Bettas attack everything else in the tank. Some are OK with fish that swim lower in the tank. No other Anabantoids.

The sun have really strong reflection, so i photo it diagonally.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Honestly if you don't mind losing some to a hungry betta, I'd go with a bunch of Cherry shrimp (though I'd put more plants and hides for them in your tank so they can get away from the betta). His hunting instinct may kick in and he'll spend his time stalking and chasing them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not keep betta fish, but I do have to ask this: If your betta is soooo boring and you want to liven things up, why not try to find it a loving home and move on to different fish? If you don't like something and have to take care of it, it eventually becomes a chore and nobody likes chores. Neglect may follow. Your fish is approaching the end of its average lifespan and it has spent its whole life in a tank, whether in yours or someone elses and I say that it has earned the right to be boring if it wants to be. The only thing that I can think of to help you otherwise is to follow the established guidelines on introducing a member or members of the opposite sex. A three year old betta has a shot at passing on the Longevity Gene(s). Good luck.
Rude.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.