The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my gf a 5g tank and have it fairly well planted. I made a bad choice and put some fish in there that arnt meant for that small of a tank. She wants colorful fish in there, not just one betta. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks. -Derek

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Ooop, just posted @ your other thread, but i would suggest reading up on dwarf puffers. A 5g would be big enough for ONE, and it would require weekly maintenance for sure. They are messy, but very entertaining.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you considered bumble-bee gobys? I have never kept them myself, but they stay very small and, from what I've read, are peaceful. There is debate about whether they ought be kept in brackish water or not, but my lfs keep them in fresh and they are always very healthy looking. I will be getting a couple soon for my 7.5g to go with some dwarf frogs. My other thought as neons. They are not my favorite tetra, (Glowlights are. Yes, I read the other thread!) but neons are small and I know some nano people keep them. Other than that, I think a dwarf gourami would be okay. Never kept them in a smaller tank than a 20. And also, pygmy cories. I have never kept them but, they stay SMALL. Obviously you can't keep ALL these fish. Others can comment on my suggestions. My smallest tank is 7.5g, so I don't really have experience with small tanks. I'm just suggesting based on what I know of the fish. I would THINK you would be okay with, for example, 5 neons and a bumble-bee goby. Don't quote me on that though. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
234 Posts
alright , i dont know if you still honer my post but :

white clouds
guppys
betta
platys
neon tetras
cherry barbs
gold barbs
dawrf cory cats
oto cats
dwarf gourami ( ide say just them as a pair)
zebra danios
gold mystery/ gold apple snails
crs,rcs, amano , tiger shrimp
pea puffer
dwarf frog
ghost shrimp
celebes rainbow
threadfin rainbow
furcata rainbow
kili fish
badis badis
i.d shark ................. NOT!

jordan

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Boraras urophthalmoides

Exactly like b. brigatte, but smaller and more colorful.
most any fish here- Nano-Fish
i would leave neons,white clouds, and most of the +1" schoolers out, as they are a little bigger.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd say a few White Clouds would be nice if you aren't going to heat it. Cooler temperatures suit them perfectly.

Other than that it's down to a select few. How about some of those Dwarf Sunset Platties Petsmart sells? Supposedly they only get 1" or so max. Whether this is true or not I don't know. Last time I went they didn't have any, I was going to try some out.

True nano-fish can be quite hard to find really. I've only seen one place carry the Bumblebee Gobies.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I believe the dwarf platy varieties are actually regular-sized platys that have been stunted from growth. That's what I read on a tattoo'd fish forum/thread once. Not sure if it's true. If it is, that's cruel!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think BB gobies are not so nano fish.
Mine is rather aggressive, even towards my dwarf puffer.
They also enjoy swimming room, but a 5 gal could be fine for it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I believe the dwarf platy varieties are actually regular-sized platys that have been stunted from growth. That's what I read on a tattoo'd fish forum/thread once. Not sure if it's true. If it is, that's cruel!
Very true. They are runts, not normal. There's no such thing as dwarf guppies, dwarf platies, dwarf angelfish, etc. They were stunted so most people can fit them perfectly in a small tank. Very inhumane.:mad:

·
Registered
234 Posts
but theres no true way of knowing a fish is stunted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.