The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.5g tank with moderate lighting and a small air powered filter. Tank had killifish in it as well as a dwarf African frog. The killifish have gone and I'm now wondering what to replace with. Thoughts included bettas but they require higher temps. Then someone suggested crayfish, but I fear that will kill the frog. He spends most of his time hiding in the giant baby years or under the mopani.

This tank is my 4 year old daughters pride and joy so I need something with at least a little color...thanks in advance

Also tank has fluval plant stratum for soil and that plus te mopani has given he tank a pH of 6.6 and 10gh, 7kh

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds perfect for Endlers. Small tank, small fish, highly colorful! And, IMO, do pretty well in lower temps as well.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Get a few White Cloud Mountain Minnows.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought about he minnows all I have around here tho are those sold as feeders and I don't think hey are very well taken care of. Endless live bearers would do ok? Somebody said badis badis would work. Thoughts? Or a peacock gudgeon

·
Registered
173 Posts
Scarlet badis (dario dario) or badis badis would be cool. I have no idea if the frog would bother cherry shrimp but if not, you could grab 6-10 and get a little colony going.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I've done neons and cardinals and every common tetra inbetween. Looking for something I've never had. A girl in my local club suggested I do celestial pearl danios. Would that he a good fit for a tank this size?? I love those. Anything that has a lot of colors, or patterning, or particularly that metallic shimmer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Celestial danios would be a good fit. I have some in my 5 gallon tank, heavily planted and unheated like yours. Very colorful and active fish.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get a few White Cloud Mountain Minnows.
Be careful with these guys they are very active fish. Not sure if I can picture them in a 5 gallon too well. I'm sure it can be done, but doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Just saw sparkling gourami tonight. They do stay small.
I love my sparkling gourami's. I'd recommend these guys for sure(very inquisitive, adorable fish)... I have them in a non heated tank though my room is on the warmer side of things.. but my sparkling gourami's are loving life right now.

Also I would recommend Celestial Pearl Danios... i have 6 in my 5 gallon and they are loving it!

Also chilli rasboras are great too.

W

1 - 20 of 63 Posts