The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good community fish food any suggestions. I was thinking of repashy. does anyone have any experience with repashy

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Fish Food

I need a good community fish food any suggestions. I was thinking of repashy. does anyone have any experience with repashy
Hello h...

I don't think you can go wrong with frozen foods. I try to avoid fish food with more than two or three ingredients. That's why I feed mostly frozen, it's the most nutritious. It has only the frozen animal and water, nothing added that has a name you can't pronounce.

I feed brine and mysis shrimp, frozen bloodworms, krill and plankton. I like to add a pellet with algae and shrimp too. If you feed a little bit a couple of times a week, the cost is minimal and your fish stay healthy and your tank stays cleaner and algae free.

Just a thought.

B

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I feed quite a variety of frozen, live & dry foods. but my favorite go to community food is:

New Life Spectrum sinking pellets 0.5mm for small fish.

I feed this to my fickle African Butterflyfish.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
New Life Spectrum sinking pellets 0.5mm here too. Also, frozen mysis and bloodworms, and this "assortment pack" that Hikari makes that has 4 different kinds of worms/shrimp and spirulina algae in it. I also love freeze dried blackworms. My fish turn into fiends for this stuff! I have fry so I also grind up flake (Ken's) for them too. So I have a bunch of different foods to rotate through.

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Frozen food isn't necessarily the most nutritious thing to feed your fish. And some fish won't bother with frozen unless there's a lot of training involved.

Nice community pellet or flake mixes are great. Repashy is also terrific. There's a thread about Repashy products in the Invertebrates by Msjinkzd sponsor forum that you should check out. Tons of questions and answers. I use it on a regular basis and highly recommend it. It's the only thing that has ever gotten some of my fish to breed.

As others have suggested, the best way to feed your community of fish is with a variety of foods.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im thinking of getting hikari micro pellets and repashy community food. I will use it along with hikari algae pellets. I also use new life spectrum 1 mm but some of my fish cant swallow so im making a switch

·
Registered
915 Posts
Tetramin flake food, sinking algae pellets, Hikari brine shrimp, bloodworms and tubifex worms

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com

has many blends of flakes, pellets and wafers, also sells freeze dried foods like brine shrimp and daphnia.
The basic foods are blends of whole fish and shellfish for the carnivores, or an algae and vegetable based herbivore food.
Then these 2 are mixed in different ratios so there are custom foods for a basic diet.
Then there are custom foods for breeding and raising fry.

Quality foods.
Quick service.
Good prices.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I give a little omega one fish flakes before giving them some frozen food (mainly these 3: brine shrimp, bloodworms, daphnia). My smaller fish (pencilfish) love the flake foods and then my larger fish (apistogramma) prefer the frozen so something for everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I try to give my fish something different every day. The Bettas really like Ocean Nutrition pellets. I use a variety of dry from Kensfish including angel flake, catfish pellets, and earthworm sticks. Frozen food is more of a treat, and use bloodworms, mysis, or Emerald Entree. Everyone gets fresh veggies 3 X week, they go crazy for zucchini, broccoli, spinach, or shredded carrot. I nuke the veggies in microwave to soften slightly, use veggie clips in tanks. I've had trouble with Hikari foods clouding water and no longer use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
NLS Pellets, whatever flake is on sale, frozen bloodworms. For live food I culture whiteworms & daphnia. I used to have grindal worms, but I neglected them after getting a whiteworm culture. Grindals are the easiest live food culture I've ever tried, but a little small for larger fish.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Oh yea!!! I have whiteworms too for my fry! LOL So simple to keep too...I use Hungry Jack mashed potatoes for mine. Less smelly than oatmeal and lasts longer too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Zoo Med Spirulina and Hakkari blood worms. Not a single inhabitant has lost interest in either in the nearly 2 years the tank has been up.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you don't do frozen. I feed strictly Omega one & new life spectrum. Wouldn't use anything else! & I like to switch up what I feed them everyday or two..I simply believe that like humans fish do get tired of eating the same thing

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nls & frozen foods may seem pricy to some people, but when you think about that amount of wood will last quite awhile!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts