The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AND can handle hard water OR that likes hard water (for them to show their brightest colors and not living uncomfortable with hard water).

The idea of setting up a 75g tank is not confirmed yet, but it could be a possibility. :smile2:

What fish can I add that are colorful and likes to swim top, middle and bottom of the tank? I'm thinking for the bottom to add either angelicus loaches, zebra loaches, or a colony of panda cories! For middle I don't know if tiger barbs are a good choice? I also like celestial pearl danios or emperor tetras. Or maybe harlequin rasboras. I like dwarf rainbowfish. But I don't know. I'm thinking of either turning this tank into a semi aggresive fish tank or keep with the community fish tank.

I also like the red tail shark XD.

This tank again it's not decided if I should do it or not, but I want to start and see ideas of what fish to add. Either add lots of tiny fish community or the 6 inch fish list. I like cichlids, especially the tanganyikan apecies, but I'll have to sacrifice the plants :frown2:. They would love my hard water, though.

So, what type of fish do you all have in your 75g tank?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Most rainbowfish species do best in hard water. A shoal of 6 or 8 Boesemani, turquoise or millennium rainbows would look spectacular.Tetras, on the other hand, prefer soft, acidic water.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Look up all the fish you list.
Most are soft water fish.

For hard water:
Most Rainbows are good. Melanotaenia praecox males were quite aggressive toward the females. I have also had Boesemani, Parkinsoni, a couple of color (different rivers) of several others. Nice fish.

Many live bearers thrive in hard water. Mollies, Swords, Guppies, Platies, Endlers and others.

In each of the groups generally thought of as soft water (Tetras, Barbs etc.) there are some species that are OK with harder water.

The more durable Cories such as Pepper or Bronze are a better choice for hard water.

Loaches are soft water fish, though some will handle harder water than others.

There are some Cichlids that are just fine with plants. Shell Dwellers, others.

Check also the optimum temperature range.

Seriously Fish ? Feeling fishy?
PlanetCatfish.com - Cat-eLog
Loach Species Index ? Loaches Online
African Cichlids: Welcome to The Cichlid Recipe

I have a soft water 72 with juvenile Bala Sharks, Clown Loaches an African Brown Knife and a few others.
I am going to be changing it over to a brackish water tank when these fish are big enough to handle my larger tank.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boesemani and other rainbowfish are beautiful! The only thing that I don't like about them (not by much, but just a bit) is that their body shape transform very dramatic = S. But that take years for their body to change, right?

·
Banned
6,196 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I used to do community in my 75g.

I have recently switched to a species I was introduced to. Only think is you really can't do planted in the substrate. But on wood and rock is fine.

Geophagus tapajos aka red heads

But I do t know how they would do in hard water.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Greggz: Wow! Nine years!? That's a lot! The second one looks cool! Rainbowfish really are beautiful! Is the male the only one that develop that body shape?

Philipraposo1982: Your tank looks beautiful! I know that some fish can adjust to different types of water hardness. I'll do more research on the fish I like and their water preferences.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Greggz: Wow! Nine years!? That's a lot! The second one looks cool! Rainbowfish really are beautiful! Is the male the only one that develop that body shape?
The males tend to change over time. They generally get "taller" as the mature, but it varies by species. Remember this takes many years, and they won't look anything like this when you buy them.

Here's a couple more fully mature species from my tank. There are lots of colors and types of Rainbow fish. I have very hard well water and they do great.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! Really beautiful colors! What type of rainbowfish is the one with the yellow fin/body and purple/black horizontal line?

And one question! Do all rainbowfish (or just the Boesemani) look so pale when they are younger? I always see them so pale I don't know if it's an unhealthy rainbowfish or not.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I would suggest not giving up on cichlids too quickly as many of the stories are from people who have not tried too hard to fit them into planted tanks. There are several of us here on this forum alone who find it works. Does take a bit more thought but can certainly open up a great group of cichlid activity to entertain you. For starters, I would look to the cichlid-forum site for the levels of aggression expected, choose some from Malawi who are not aggresive and then look to the open water types who do not look to the bottom very much.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if I were to choose cichlids I kinda like the tanganyikan ones, but I still don't know much about them. I also like the really vibrant and colorful ones like the African peacock and hap cichlids. I think they are malawi??? I can't remember much about cichlids. XD

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Cool! Really beautiful colors! What type of rainbowfish is the one with the yellow fin/body and purple/black horizontal line?

And one question! Do all rainbowfish (or just the Boesemani) look so pale when they are younger? I always see them so pale I don't know if it's an unhealthy rainbowfish or not.
its either m.herbertaxelrodi, but I suspect its m.trifasciata 'running creek'

They all are kind of colorless when they are younger, and develop color and shape as they age. The ones in the picture are NOT what you will get from a LFS though, they are pure bred known lineage bows. unfortunately the florida fish farmers have allowed bows to hybridize soo much that many of them do not reach the color potential as the ones with a known lineage.

check out www.rainbow-fish.org for some great stuff, the guru's of bow keeping are on the forum as well as Gary Lange who has found many new species as well as having a new species named after him m.garylangei

Many on the forums as well as Gary sell egg kits so you can raise your own. And get the best of the best.

They are really great fish! I personally am getting ready to setup my next bow tank moving from a 40b with medium sized bows up to a 75g with some species I have been wanting to keep for a very long time.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I love live bearers, I would go with giant orange swordtails, or one of the giant strain sail fin mollies or both.

Strange thing though, the wilder strains of swordtails, like the greens and neon and pineapples, can not stand the orange ones, and it is not only the males.
My orange swords are always being picked on, and they are not exactly the smallest fish in the tank although they are still young.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nordic: That's weird. Maybe is because they don't see them as one of their own because of their size?. Do you mean the blood red eye swordtail? That one is a real giant! At least I think? I like that fish alot. They look ancient. I saw it once on a display tank and when I asked if I could buy it they told me no XD. I never see that fish available anywhere = /.

I made a list for the 75g if it were a community planted tank:

- boesemani, red, turquoise and whatever other rainbowfish that's colorful (16?) <-- I don't know how this works.
- blood red eye swordtail (1 male)
- emperor tetras or harlequin rasboras or all male cherry barbs (if I don't add red bows) or celestial pearl danios or those small rainbowfish...I ALWAYS find it so hard choosing a schooling fish XDXDXD. (10-15?)
- peppered cory or any cory that likes hard water (10) or zebra loaches (4)
- Siamese Algae Eater (4) for the algae.
- bristlenose pleco albino or regular (1...if I could find the "butterfly" one...so pretty!)
- Gold Ram (pair)...I gotta have at least on cichlid.

If it were cichlids only...peacock? Those are supposed to be smaller and have really nicecolors. But making the list of choosing a specific peacock I still don't know.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.