The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a new 75 gal aquarium, hopes for a discus group when I get it all ready. I've added some plants to the tank now and have Coralife Fixture LED 48 inch, along with a strip light the tank came with. I have a AquaTop CF-400-UV Canister Filter but am not sure if I need more 'water movement' ? It seems manufacturers often under-rate filter performances. The day after adding plants, moss etc, I still have some floaters in the tank and think I need more filtration to have that perfect water for my eventual plan of discus. I am thinking of adding yet, another filter, maybe an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter? Any input . Do others run more than (canister) one filter / combinations etc. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've really gotten to the point where I think you should run a sump on anything bigger than 50 gallons. Canister filters are too high maintenance and hob filters just don't offer enough surface area for biological filtration.

Bump: But to get to your initial question you can ron a second filter but you floating plants may not appreciate a hob filter.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For a large tank, especially one for discus, I'd probably go with two canisters--if you can't go with a sump. Not necessarily for the water movement, but for the extra filtration... plus. If you have issues with one, the other should be able to hold up for the tank.

I have an Eheim Pro 4+ 600 and Fluval FX6 on my 92 gallon. Probably overkill, but I love the amount of space I have for bio/mech/chem filtration. And even with these two, the flow at full strength isn't too much.. once you heavy plant, add fine filter media, etc. On a 75, I prob would just do two Eheims. I've also had great luck with Filstar and the other fluval models in the past.

I have to say, this specific eheim model I have now is the best designed filter I've ever used.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I recently set up a new 75 gal aquarium, hopes for a discus group when I get it all ready. I've added some plants to the tank now and have Coralife Fixture LED 48 inch, along with a strip light the tank came with. I have a AquaTop CF-400-UV Canister Filter but am not sure if I need more 'water movement' ? It seems manufacturers often under-rate filter performances. The day after adding plants, moss etc, I still have some floaters in the tank and think I need more filtration to have that perfect water for my eventual plan of discus. I am thinking of adding yet, another filter, maybe an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter? Any input . Do others run more than (canister) one filter / combinations etc. Thanks in advance.
Hi Designs in clay plants,

You may want to contact @discuspaul, a member of this forum, for some input on setting up a discus tank, especially about filtration since it is so important with large fish species that generate a lot of waste. He has one of the nicest planted discus tanks I have seen in a long while.

Personally, I run 2X Marineland 350 Magnum filters on my 75 gallon one of which has an in-line heater and Up Aqua Diffuser on the output side which definitely reduces the GPH flow rate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.