The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have two 2217's running on my tank. Looking to increase filtration slightly and add some carbon filtration for the ammonia load, so im thinking of keeping a 2217 and adding a larger filter and selling one of the 2217s, or, just replacing the two and getting one big filter. Whats a good one? Looking at the Eheim advanced filters and the Fluval canisters. I prefer eheim but was told fluval is just as good but cheaper. Thoughs?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow, I would think that 2-2217s would be more than sufficient for a 75g. You could always go for a single 2080.

Are you heavily stocked? Is there a reason you think you need carbon?

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I would also question the need for more filtering. It is easy to be mislead when we are new to things.
I like to break things down into small pieces when I am making these decisions.
A filter has three primary things to do so I look at each of these and decide if what I have is doing those three.
Mechanical- Is the water clean looking to suit me?
Bio-Is the ammonia being taken care of in a way that fits my schedule?
Chemical-Is there something special in the water like color or odors that is not being removed? I rarely use carbon.
Sometimes people think water circulation may be improved with more filtering but I find it works better to use powerheads for this. Much cheaper and less time needed.
Many say you can never overfilter but I find you can overspend, overwork and "overnoise" quite easily!

·
Registered
812 Posts
It is definitely a bit overstocked, and the water is getting a bit of a greenish tinge from all the fish and the new wood i put in there and stuff, hence the desire to add a bit of carbon filtration of some sort. I figure if its a seperate filter i can just turn off that filter whenever i have the need to dose the tank.
No need for water movement- doing fine with that id say, and i do have a pair of powerheads. Just looking for a bit more filtration. The two 2217's may be enough but i like to overkill things to be safe. Had a 1' or so channel cat i just gave up for adoption to the owner of a LFS here and replaced with a one spot cat, but the bio load is still pretty big. 3 4-line Pictus, a pair of still small tinfoil barbs, a peacock bass, the one spot, a teeny polypterus, a dragon goby, and two pleco's. Certainly a lot for a 75G but i like lively tanks :/. Also have a ~50g bowfront, a 20g, 40g turtle tank, 10g feeder fish holder tank, and 10g baby growout tank for all the babys i adopt from petsmart :D. Took down one of the 20's that had crawfish in it to get the turtle.

oh and just stuck a 1.5g or so half moon tank with a bunch of plants and a baby pleco and pair of baby tiger barbs in the entrance to the house. Looks cool :D. No filtration though so going to be constantly changing water. Plants will help but only so much.

maybe just add a third filter thats half carbon and half bio? IDK

·
Registered
263 Posts
pick up a cheap/free HOB filter off craigslist, and just get carbon inserts off evilbay. not the real prefab inserts that HOB makers force you to buy.
way cheaper, and then you can just unplug it like you said

btw, you shouldn't keep a baby pleco in a 1.5g, let alone an unfiltered tank, it'll kill it quicker then you think.

·
Registered
941 Posts
i picked up a eheim 2078 around blackfriday/cybermonday for $275 ish i believe. this filter is a beast. moves a ton of water and you can't even tell its on. it's so silent, you have to put your hand on the filter just to tell if its on... and even then the vibrations are hard to notice.

its got 4 baskets and lots of room for media. i put filter floss in 3 baskets and my water is pristine.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Okay, I get a totally different picture than your handle made me think! Sounds like you do have a pretty large load and a filter change may be needed. But the green water may also be an algae bloom. This could be from things that a filter may/ may not clear. You mentioned water changing so you are way ahead of some. But then if you are having an algae bloom, it is possible that more filter may only clear the water but not solve the problem. A filter can convert the load to nitrite but if it is not removed by water changes, you may still have a bigger problem coming than just the appearance. The fish you mention may not be as sensitive to bad water as some but it might still be sneaking up on you if you are not watching. I might want to do some testing to see how the water looks for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
A filter might help but not solve the real problem but we won't know without some test results? It might be as simple as needing to double up on the amount of water changed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. Im going to test it tomorrow after work and let you guys know the results.
Yea my handle is old and outdated lol gotta update it all.
I have a HOB sitting around that i can put in the tank. Its an emperor i had on my 20. Maybe ill just try that.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Would not hurt to try a filter on hand but what I was getting at was that the filter won't do much for an algae bloom if it is caused by high nitrate or other type ferts making the algae grow. About the only rational way to remove those is by water changing, either more often or larger amounts. Just a guess, though till you do some checking to see if those are high.
Sounds like the big guys might be just producing more than you are getting removed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea thats what im thinking too. Im just going to add some sponge filters and see what happens.. only 14$ for a second whisper 100 air pump and ive been wanting to add another for a while now. itll help increase bio filtration and provide more oxygen. I have lots of plants and a small sponge filter and pair of small airstones already but you can never be too sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts