The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to the world of keeping fish in an aquarium and need some advice. I've recently bought a 200 litre tank that is 48" deep (4ft) by 18" square. I've decided that I'm going to have a cold water tank with orandas and pearlscale fish. What filter do I need as I was thinking of an external fluval 305 but my tank is too deep for it as it also sits on top of a 24" (2ft) cabinet. The fluval needs to sit at a requirement of between 7 inches and 4 1/2 feet below water level. The filter can't go into the cabinet underneath as it contradicts the requirements, so I though of putting it on another cabinet next to it (can't go behind as no room) but that won't work as the hoses then become angled. The fluval is a gravity fed system so they need to be straight. Any ideas as to how to solve these problems? Should I consider something else and if so what?

Thank you.

Splix

·
Registered
466 Posts
Why would angled hoses cause a problem as long as you establish siphoning? Your filter will surely be located more than 7 inches below the water level. All the hoses connected to my Eheim filters are angled and I never have a problem.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
As long as there are no sharp bends in the hoses, or kinks, it should work fine with the hoses angled. But, I think I would just put it in the tank stand, but on a shelf as high in that stand as possible, allowing room to remove the filter. The odds are very good that it will work fine. The worst thing that would happen is the higher pressure in the filter housing could make it leak. And, I feel sure that you will not exceed the pressure at which that happens.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Coil the hoses & I use an adjustable shower curtain pole across the inside of my cabinet just above the pumps to support the hoses & take any stress off the pump fittings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.