The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ok, I am setting up my first co2 setup and am not sure what else I still need. This is for a 29g tank and it will have 2x24 watt T5HO lighting.

I am buying a milwaukee 957 regulator and 5 lb aluminum co2 tank from a seller on craigslist for $100, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

I think I also need silicon tubing as well? No idea..

Also, I have an Eheim 2215 canister filter. I have read that I can use it as a diffuser and put my co2 into the intake of the filter. How is that done and is this recommended with my type of filter?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
12,126 Posts
As you already have the CO2 tank, regulator, needle valve, bubble counter and solenoid, you will need:

Check Valve ("Optional" - see below)
Technically optional, but is required. You don't want water to back siphon and destroy your regulator. Brass ones are better than plastic ones, which will be corroded by the CO2 with time.

Drop checker (Optional)
Allows easy monitoring of the amount of CO2 in the aquarium. Again, you can DIY one yourself or purchase one.

Diffuser/Reactor
You will need some way to get your CO2 to efficiently dissolve into the water column. Whether this be with a glass diffuser with a ceramic disc or an in-line reactor will depend on the size of your aquarium and what kind of setup you have. With the Eheim 2215, I would recommend a reactor, but a diffuser could do as well. You can also place the end of your CO2 output near the intake of your filter if you wish, but some people find that it makes extra noise that they don't like.

Tubing
This will allow you to connect your whole setup to your reactor/diffuser. Silicone tubing will work fine, but so will vinyl tubing.

You may also want to get a better needle valve to replace the stock MA957 needle valve, as many people on these forums find it inconsistent at delivering a steady bubble rate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thank you. So the co2 bubbles just come right out of the tubing with no airstone type thing at the end? I am going to try placing it near the intake of my filter since I've been reading that this is ok to do with the Eheim classic series. Hopefully the noise won't be too bad.

Where could I buy a drop checker and check valve? Preferably not online so I can just go pick them up, but if that's the only option then some websites will be fine. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some local fish stores might have a drop checker and/or check valve, however unless someone else from Detroit chimes in, then you are the expert on Local Fish Stores in your area. I bought this drop checker from my LFS:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EUE6PA

They call it a CO2 indicator, however its the same as a drop checker. I've not seen brass check valves in my LFS, so I'm not sure if you'll find them locally. You could try a building supply store or plumbing store. I buy brass fittings for my CO2 lines at a building supply store, but have not found any check valves there yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,126 Posts
As mentioned, your LFS may carry drop checkers. If not, you can always DIY one yourself or order online.

As for check valves, your LFS should have the cheap plastic variety. While these can work, I would recommend a brass check valve, as CO2 will eventually degrade the plastic ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.