The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the canister filter on my 40B. I have 3 canister filters but no experience with the Eheim's.

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also have a 40 gallon and use the 2217. I'm using the spray bar output with it and, I did have too make the holes in the spray bar larger by drilling them out a bit. Also added (Marine Pure) in the filter. Great results!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2217 is the one I've been eyeballing. I'm not really interested in the pro series as I have not really heard great things about them. I've seen so many people here swear by the classic versions. I've also heard the these are super quiet.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Nlewis i just bought mine 139.99 havent hooked up because it only came with 4ft of tubing so i had to order more. Im going to run this with a cerges and 4ft of tubing wont make it. If you have similar set up buy more 12/16 tubing save some time and shipping.

Bump: This will go on a 40b

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
We all have our personal preferences for different reasons. In my case, I have at least a dozen cannister filters, from Eheims to Fluvals to SunSun to Finnex. In the end, the Eheims are running my tanks and the rest are collecting dust in the garage.

My 'collection' of Eheim spans multiple models of Classic, Pro II and Pro III. All are silent and all are top-notch filters.

I veered into the Classic line because of a) their reputation b) smaller footprint c) 1/2" hose availability (for smaller tanks) d) price. And I do not like them. I find cleaning loose media a pain, I am not a fan of quick disconnects, and the inflow connection is iffy, at best. You can say I got spoiled by Eheim's Pro lines.

My 3 2026 are still running like new after some 15 years of constant use. My 4 2075 are still running my larger tanks for over 5 years. And I tend to leave them alone for 6 months or longer between cleaning.

I started my heavily over planted 40B with a SunSun. It got forcefully retired into the garage after constant cleaning and 2 spill within 3 months. It got replaced with a 2075 and I had peace ever after.

You can still find 2026 / 2028 used around $80. A 2075 runs about $200 new on sale.

My experience with Eheim support has been stellar. One of my 2075 turned out to be a pre-production version and developed a leak at the head. TWO brand new complete replacement heads were shipped to me overnight from Canada, at no cost (don't call their Customer Service, call their parts department).

The above is not to push you in a specific direction. The above is to help you to make an informed decision. Select a model that suits your particular needs. And when in doubt, go at least one size larger ☺

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I bought a 2217 from Amazon last night and it will be here next week. Pretty excited to get rid of the Fluval that just isn't cutting it. For those of you who have this filter, exactly how much tubing do you get? Is it worth buying more Eheim tubing or just pick up some clear vinyl tubing? If I go the non Eheim route and use non metric size tubing, is it 1/2 and 5/8 inner diameter I'm looking for?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Mines been up and running a few weeks. I like the flow and the tank never looked as clear. Its quiet, I am very happy with it

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
So I bought a 2217 from Amazon last night and it will be here next week. Pretty excited to get rid of the Fluval that just isn't cutting it. For those of you who have this filter, exactly how much tubing do you get? Is it worth buying more Eheim tubing or just pick up some clear vinyl tubing? If I go the non Eheim route and use non metric size tubing, is it 1/2 and 5/8 inner diameter I'm looking for?

Thanks
Missed your question you get about 4' 4" of both types of tubing i ordered more of the smaller diameter. If you need plum anything in you will probably not have enough. I just bought it on bigals or dr.fosters. 10 bucks for 10'.

I think you want the eheim type because the double taps may not fit right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 2211 that was on a 30 gallon and it did well. It's on my ten gallon in the kitchen now and it probably over kill, would like to put a smaller one there since it's on a counter-top and I don't have a lot of space there.
Only complaint is that it doesn't have a prime button, you have to suck on one end to get the flow going. Bluck.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Filter came in late yesterday and I hooked it up a few hours ago. Definitely an upgrade over the Fluval 405 I have. The best thing I see so far is this thing is super quiet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts