The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have snails (mostly MTS) in my two tanks and have observed interesting behaviors. From time to time, sometimes after water changes, I see my snails out on the glass by masses. What does this mean when the snails are out of the substrate and on the glass? Does this have something to do with the water quality? Can this possibly mean lack of O2 in the water or any other water issues? Just wondering ...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one knows what it means when the snails come out to the open from the substrate?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
No one knows what it means when the snails come out to the open from the substrate?
The literature would suggest that snails will begin climbing upwards on the glass when water quality is poor. Based on my own personal experience, I am not too convinced of this. I don't have MTS but pond and some other types of ugly snails(I am unsure of type) that do this all the time. I don't believe this indicates a water quality issue. In my case, if there was a water quality issue, my Amano Shrimp and Otocat, which are the most sensitive to water quality would be dead.

In your case, I would suggest testing your aquarium water just to be safe. Many aquarium shops test the water for free. If your ammonia levels are fine, I would not worry too much about it. The only other thing that snails need is sufficient calcium. I have read about calcium deficiencies will cause snails to die amass. Their shells turn all white, indicating a calcium deficiency or in some cases too low a PH.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
In your case, I would suggest testing your aquarium water just to be safe.
I would also test your tap water. IME snails will come out of hiding 1) at night to forage, 2) when they don't like the conditions, and they are trying to find a better place.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do know that the snails come out at night to forage. For the most part, snails are out here and there. A lot but not crazy number, but sometimes, it's a mass exodus from the substrate on to glass, rocks, and others. I did notice that the shells were white. So whatever that's worth... I am trying to get rid of them, but there are literally thousands of them. Some are almost half inch long.

My fish are fine and I do water changes every 3 to 4 days. So, I know water quality is not an issue. I use Prime, so any ammonia that may be in the tap water should be neutralized. What condition would bother the snails but not fish? Any thoughts?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
IDK that there'sny one reason... IME the snails come out at feeding time, they come out at lights out, they come out to breed, they come out just to move around... certain species of snails seem to like certain areas of my tank whereas other species like other areas (no clue why)...

·
Registered
251 Posts
When I put my assassins in the tank all of the MTS made a run for the top.....

I have found 3 main reasons....

Food not enough, A killer in the tank, and High Nitrates.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I had a problem in my CRS tank with the MTS would all head toward the surface, especially in the morning. They would even all line up at the top or a few inches from the top. My CRS would also hitch a ride on the snails and hang out at the surface. I realized I had a film on the surface of the water and the outflow of the cannister wasn't breaking it up. I moved the waterflow up and broke up the film. It worked, the snails and shrimp stopped heading toward the surface. I can only assume the film was blocking the gas exchange and the O2 was to low.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
In my experience it is when the water qulaity is poor they leave. How iI found this out I put about a hundred MTS in a 10g tank. Fed 2 a week a few algae tabs and did no water changes. In another tank I did the same except I did water changes. In the non changed tank the ammonia rose to above 5 and I had about 50 die off, but still there were many babies, and the rest were on the glass during day time. In the other tank the ammonia spiked to .5 at the most and no snails were out during the day(minus the few that would be shoved out of the gravel). So this can be a sign of water quality. I would test and do a water change and wait to see if this continues. It may also mean it is time to attempt to thin out some snails.

As far as your snails, if their shells are white it may be calcium deficiency and they are trying to find a source!?!?!?!? It really all depends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.