The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ive gone through the ringer when it comes to keeping and surviving blue rams. I was recently down to one female in my 100 gallon planted tank that I had for a good 6 months or more. I finally found a gorgeous male for her. I put the male in the 100 gallon on sunday and today the female ended up dead. The male is still there but he has been kind of hiding/staying in the same spot. Im so frustrated. What does it take to keep these fish alive? I do 50% water changes every week. I keep angels in the tank also along with some other fish and they are all fine. Please give me some insight. thanks:confused:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no my ph from the tap is about 6.8-7.0. The rams arent wild either.
My kh is 3-4
gh is 4-5
nitrates...not sure, i dose 1/2 tsp 3x a week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
blue rams

is there any loss of color in the rams that have died?i noticed you have neon tetras in your tank.have you heard of neon tetra disease? there may possible be a relation between the neon tetra and blue ram deaths.have you had any neon tetras die resently?
neon tetra diesase is a infection with the microsporidian parasite.fish may carry low level infections with no signs.heavily infected fish exhibit a loss of coloration/unusual swimming/spinal curvature,emanacaition and fin rot.
the parasite pass from fish to fish.
there has been attempts to treat this diease but none has been completly effective.best results i have had is to rid the tank of neon tetras and do a
50 % water change and add a secondary infection bacteria medicine.
i believe this neon tetra diease is a real bad deal for soft water fish.also if you can sweep the substrate as much as possible

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i only have like 2 neons left. they all died off gradually. Everything else in the tank is fine. maybe since rams are so sensitive, they are the only ones getting affected??

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well should i move the ram to another tank? I orginally had him in my 55 gallon non co2 tank and he was doing fine.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Get your rams from oddballfish, they are in Tampa fl. They breed there own.
I have a few rams from them and they are fine. Ive been able to breed my own and now have a few grow tanks. They are still sometimes a strange death for no reason. I think these fish can get depressed when there male or female runs off with another fish to get fishy. Believe it! I'm dealing with that now. Its weird

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
They are still sometimes a strange death for no reason.
Agreed. I had a pair that were breeding every 7 days (never had a successful egg hatcing).

One day after a water change I found my female dead. No obvious signs of stress or mistreatment, she just died. *shrugs* I did the water change the exact same way I do it every time.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Agreed. I had a pair that were breeding every 7 days (never had a successful egg hatching).

One day after a water change I found my female dead. No obvious signs of stress or mistreatment, she just died. *shrugs* I did the water change the exact same way I do it every time.

Man that sux. I think Asian bred fish are to blame. They juice them up= stress
to much breeding= death. Im working on breeding my own now, and have been successful. Maybe I should go south and catch some

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so can i change him to another tank???

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok well i caught him and he is aclimating and he is very very lathargic. I dont want to lose him! Im putting him in a hospital tank with some other smaller fish so I can treat him with some meds. Here is what I have on hand:
Parasite clear
fungus clear
ick clear
pimafix
melafix

Please help me!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
his gills are also moving pretty fast and they are slightly enlarged.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kinda need some help here....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i put some salt in the 10 gallon. He is still struggling. I have the tank lights off and the room dark. Im going to leave him alone for a while. I added some salt but i dont know if I should add more. I only added about maybe less than a tblspn.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he is also in a 6.8 to 7.0 ph tank. is that ok?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.