The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that uses a device, let's call it a tube of PCV, with a thin paper like inner coating, with a black backing, a pretty marketing label on it, rhymes with "Sanitizer".

I cut it open and looked inside.
It's just PVC, some glass like material and some inner paper like coating.
Nothing else etc, no surface area etc.

I removed them from all the tanks.
Now there's less junk in the wall system:proud:

I showed it to the client, and several other folks, a LFS owner etc, they all had serious doubts after.

I was the only one that had the serious doubts before:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am shocked.:hihi:

I am really surprised that these people had such faith in this product. I guess you live and you learn.

He was really selling them out of his LFS... I can understand people being persuaded into such products with deceptive ads but a LFS actually promoting it... I say this was a job well done.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I will name it.

If I'm right do I get a lollipop?

Eco-Aqualizer!!!

And it sounds like they have even less in them now than they did a few years back. A quick clicky thing for you to check out.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I will name it.

If I'm right do I get a lollipop?

Eco-Aqualizer!!!

And it sounds like they have even less in them now than they did a few years back. A quick clicky thing for you to check out.
I had always had serious doubts about this product due to my skeptcial nature and general head not up assis disorder. a few months back when I came across Rex's dissection of the Crapla-aqualizer it only confirmed for me what I had known all along. Its a worthless peice of junkAs if adding magnets to the waterflow would actually have any effect on something like this. I mean once the water hits the main tank its gonna be all scrambled again anyways. since its placed on the return of your filter theres nothing to catch the Pixydust that the device "removes" from the water. So all that pixydust winds up back in the tank anyways.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cut it open, I've asked many folks since and shown them and asked.
I have not found anything remotely supportive.

I really am looking though. I cut them apart to see, I really am having a harder time the more I know.

Hydrilla pills for humans was another favorite of several researchers in Florida.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
576 Posts
There was a huge throwdown on Reef Central when this POS first launched. Much to the dismay of the manufacturers, RC's resident chemist systematically invalidated every one of their claims. As if there were any doubt.

I can only think of one other example (rhymes with dark mice) that can even come close to this level of imaginary science.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Debate? All it takes is big glossy photos in the hobby magazine. I think they are marketing an aquarium with fake coral that spins. Perfect for anyone with 22k for rotating fluorescent coral for freshwater fish.

http://www.ecoaqualizer.com/rotating.htm
I remember how they threatened Rex with a lawsuit but nothing happened. I guess their lawyer was ROFL when he heard their product's claims as well.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not saying that it is that particular product however, let's not get TPT into any trouble there, it seems that owner, Carl is very sensitive towards the very customers that might buy his product and has threaten sue many aquarium hobbyists and forum owners if you say bad things about his product.

We cannot do that and should not approach it that way.
Committing torts against a company is not wise.
If you are prepared to go down that path, that's up to you, I did and won.
Not everyone did.

The James Randi Educational Foundation ( http://www.randi.org ) has $1,000,000 waiting for anyone that can show in a double-blind test that water has any measurable difference once the magnetic fields have been removed. So far, not one person has been able to show anything.
I mean if it really does what they claim, why not get the 1,000,000$?
Why make them for the aquarium industry if it really does what is claimed?

Here's a discussion about a "similar" device:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...rpage=25&highlight=eco aqualizer&pagenumber=1

Pay attention particularly to Randy's thought process. I'm less concerned about this product, which is "similar", but more concerned with the general process and discussion. There are few Randy's in the planted arena sadly

He critical, no more than myself, a bit nicer than I generally too:)

Enjoy reading though.
Many of same forum poster arguments on the pro side that come up for ADA, for "Algae cure alls" and various other new products that make claims are present in this tread and maybe applied here.

Sadly, many folks fall prey to same thought processes displayed in the RC thread.

I would hope folks, myself included(see ADA and rashes), will be a bit more critical about various products. I concede that the ADA AS may not cause the rash, but it was hard to rule out also and under the rather unusual circumstances I used it under, it is not an issue I am concerned about.

But I admitted it, unlike many who are ego and pride driven.
Now some are running around saying ADA As causes rashes and should they buy it or not.:icon_mad:

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts