Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inline atomizer - 25$
Sera reactor - 45$
Mix Max reactoy - 25$
DIY contraption - X
Glass diffuser - 10-20$
Other??

*prices approximate

After my poor results with the atomizer, I am looking for something else that works.... :( going with either the Sera/mix max
Do glass diffusers work? lets say in a 30 gallon tank thats only 12 inches high (25x25x12)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are you pressurized? Or DIY? I use limewood diffusers. They work great. Although they have to be replaced every three to six months.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well if it's pressurized the I would go with glass/ceramic. I used a pressurized for a while til I started making wine and beer. I use the DIY method and I get a little to drink as well.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Ista Max CO2 reactor. $10. I am using one right now. Very please with it. I wrote a little review with it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/148240-ista-max-reactor.html

About the bubble counts? When I finally got my drop checker working, I realized I needed the double amount of CO2 to get the drop checker to turn lime green. It is also interesting to note that the rate the water enters into the chamber, as well as the amount of CO2, will reach an equilibrium. There is a point in which the rate the CO2 being dissolved is sufficient enough to prevent excess built-up of CO2 inside the chamber.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am pressurized and for diffusion I put together two power heads, an old gravel vaccum, and left over air hose to make a diffusion system that makes use of a venturi vacuum to ensure proper diffusion. Since I had everything on hand I didn't have to purchase anything I am happy with this but if given the choice and didn't have anything on hand I'd go with a brand name.

Let me throw a picture up showing my monstrosity:

And there is a small phone video of operation here.

Enjoy,
Abe

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
If you have a canister, definitely go with a DIY Grigg or Cerges reactor (you can find how-to links in the DIY forum). They'll get you the most efficient diffusion. I use one with a SunSun 302 in a 30g.

You can also run one with a pump using a closed circuit if you don't have a canister. Intake > pump > reactor > outflow.

I don't have any experience with the premade reactors. I use larger (1"+) glass/ceramic diffusers on two other tanks. One diffuser worked well to begin with, one needed some superglue around the edge to block larger bubbles and force air through the center of the disc, creating smaller bubbles. I won't buy any more nano diffusers - I've had bad luck with them working effectively.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
DIY contraption. If you have a half-way decent canister and some plumbing know-how you can easily put together a "Rex Style" reactor for <$30.

True but the problem is that you can buy one similar at the same or less price. I only paid $10 for my Ista Max. Would I spend $30 to make my own Creg reactor? Probably no.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I have two pressurized tanks with two totally different injection systems.

ADA 60-p (~17g)

CalAqua inline diffuser hooked in the outflow of my 2217. This works great, looks pretty on the back of the tank and is pretty fool proof. However it us glass so there is always the chance of breakage during maintenance which brings up my next gripe which is that it needs to be cleaned (soaked in bleach for 3-4 hours then I cap one end with my finger and pour large crystal sea salt in it, pour in a bit of water and shake like crazy to get everything out them rinsed and dechlorinated very well) every 3 months or so due to algae growing on the ceramic diffuser. This causes the bubbles to be much, much larger than when clean and that takes the efficiency (if when clean we say us 100%) diwn to maybe 20%-30% and that just won't due. 4 times a year isn't bad at all but it must be done if like me you have lots of light and don't want an algae farm!

37g

I have an Iwaki MD15-RLT inline with my Rena XP3. It serves two purposes. First it is inline post co2 injection so it smashes up the co2 bubbles before it enters the Rena for reaction/diffusion. Second it gives me so much more flow than the XP3 could ever hope to provide and also it does not slow down after a few months when the filter gets clogged with mulm.

The path of water is.

Intake-co2-Iwaki-XP3-outflow.

It works great and has been rock solid since the beginning. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.