The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i'm planning to do some new looks to a 40b and this is what i came up with.... it will fit but the sides where the branches end are really close if not touching the glass of the aquarium....

let me know what you think of it.... anything you recommend ? is it to much wood in a 40b? it will of course be filled with HC for the floor ground and some fissden moss on all the wood to give it that old mossy look to it

also its tied with fishing strings so it doesnt fall apart like zip tie does in water... but is it a bad idea to soak the wood in boiling water with the fishing line on? or would soaking it in a HOT! bath tube water on max heat also bad on the fishing line? want to know so i can soak it and sterilize the wood + water log it for aquarium use without having to take it apart then redo the tiring again

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
I assume this is a tree stump look you're going for. I think what you did was successful. However, I think an actual stump would look better because the base looks like a bunch of branches clumped together. This might not be a problem if you have lots of plants and rocks covering up the base.

As for soaking it in hot water, I don't know what the melting point of fishing line is so I can't offer suggestions other than to put in some test pieces of fishing line in boiling water to see if it softens or melts.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Fishing line will stretch when heated. SS screws are safe and just drill holes large enough to allow the screw to pass through one piece and grab the other. Put one screw into two logs from each piece. One to the piece to the left and one to the piece to the right of each one. Soak them first and then quickly do the screw work.
You might make the ends of the roots go into the gravel so as not to interfear/w
cleanin the glass at the ends of them.
If you want...when you drill the hole for the screws with a drill large enough to let the screw go easilly through the piece you want held, then using a drill larger than the head of the screw drill about 1/2 or 3/4 inch deep along the same hole on the end where the screw will start from. Then after it's all together take Fissedens and ball up one part of a small bunch of it and stick it in those holes.
It will make getting it to hold much easier and it will cover the screw hole and all.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is what i am trying to aim for in the end.. something on this line but not exactly the lay out plants will be... but they will cover the roots if not all the roots of the stump in the end

These are photo's of a member here name: Jonnywhoop and this is what i plan on going off of with my own little twist here and there but it will look something along this line tho...

any idea if i am close to this? lol just wanted other peoples though on this... and i take no credit for this master piece i am about to create by any means

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think you're close. Definitely throw some moss on it and some plants around it. It'll probably be easier to boil the branches individually so you're not dunking that huge piece in at once. It'll also alleviate your fishing line dilemma.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if i boil it then the question is how long do i boil it for and once boiled is it good enough to go directly into the tank?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the shoutout Bryan! Heres what I did... I used one of those tall laundry baskets and kept it in front of my garage with a heater, internal pump, and air stone. I soaked the wood for a good month or so, occasionally dumping the brown water out and replacing it every other day or two. There were a ton of tannins... but that was the least of my worries. I didn't want to scape the tank and have it float up when it was filled, especially since I was gonna DSM my tank anyways and have the wood possibly float up. I layered the bottom of the tank with egg crates. I then used zip ties and tied the bottom part of the branches to the egg crate, while zipping the branches on the top to achieve that stump affect. I used black zip ties and figured that the plants would cover it up anyways, no big deal. Also for an aquascaping perspective. I put rocks underneath the "roots" to make it more realistic. To give the effect that the roots are growing over something to create that bend. I don't know haha, this was the second aquascape I ever did. Shoot me a text if you have any questions. you have my number Bryan! goodluck! :icon_lol:

This is how I soaked it. I used the glass blocks to keep the wood submerged as they all floated up and out of the water.

FTS of the initial scape

side angle

The tank as it is today! (taken from an iphone)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lovely Jonnywhoop... now stop stealing my thread lol j/k we all know your tank is AWESOME now its my turn to steal the idea xD it's always good to share ideas right? and i think the plants i will be getting from you will be here tomorrow but still cant set it up cause the damn wood is not water log =( so the plants will just sit in the tank for now and growing on the side till i can figure out what to do with it when i can tear down the tank...

ugly tank as of today =(

need to get rid of the Hydro sp japan and the dwarf hair grass tho so if any one needs some let me know i am letting them go for cheap... 3"X3" DHG or Japan for $5 a portion sounds fair to me right?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Idk Bryan. Your tank is pretty nice. But I can understand its time for a change. Do the egg rate and zip tie. Tape off an area that matches the 40br. Zip tie it all, that should hold the wood down. Then rinse your soil, pour on top. Fill and plant. Done. I would save some hydro, and glosso. The hydro can be great weaving in the roots which was my original plan but I ended up just using the blyxa in the midd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts