The Planted Tank Forum banner

What do you think this is?

373 4
Hi, I've just added some new blue dreams and i've notices some white white fuzz or growths on the heads on a few. I took a zoomed in (not great quality sorry) video of one and noticed it curling and behaving almost like a tongue.. Is this vorticella, Scutariella Japonica, completely normal or something else?
Any help would be appreciated!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
Too many things to list.
208 Posts
not an expert, but it looks like Vorticella. Bad news…. if I were you, i would separate the shrimp asap and start googling to confirm and for solutions. NOT facebook, for sure…..

· Administrator
17,901 Posts
You don't need to start googling anything. You're already on the largest planted tank repository in the world and there are tons of people here who'll help you figure out a treatment plan.

Can you get more photos to share, @Rachimus? That will help determine what it is. As it stands, I can't tell what it is and would not say definitively that it's Vorticella or Scutariella japonica.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@somewhatshocked Oh man, I just noticed now that several of my original tank mates seem to have caught it as well 😔
I took another video just now, what do you think?

I've got a 25L tank with a mix of adult and young neocardinias, along with 4 nerites. 1 of my shrimp is berried and due to give birth any day now.
I'm still fairly new to shrimp keeping so i stupidly don't have a quarantine tank up and running.
What I do have is a spare plastic tub with a lid also around 25L, I have a pump running an air stone that i guess i could attach to a sponge filter if i can find one in store near here... no spare heater right now.
The only salt i have is shrimpbee gh+
As far as other things that I have on hand: easy-life: easystart, easy-life: voogle, easy-life: filter medium, tetra algumin, nitrateminus and plantamin. also some sea almond leaves.
Please any advice you can give I would really appreciate it!

Bird Plant Beak Organism Parrot
Bird Plant Beak Organism Parrot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts