The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon the not-so-hot pics, they are grainy because the ISO was set to 3200.

I saw this on an otherwise normal acting/feeding Blue Tetra today. To me, it looks like a rub/bite/surface damage that's showing signs of either a fungal or bacterial edge. Admittedly, my eyes are aging and I really need glasses, so I'd like to know what you see and think. It can easily be seen from the healthy side of the fish through the semi transparent flesh, but it's only on that one side. Nothing raised or cottony yet, the center of the damage might be slightly raised - it's hard for me to tell. The skin actually looks missing to me, with the whitish edge around it (which I assume is a fungal or bacterial infection, perhaps it ate the skin away once it started?) I have virtually no experience with sick fish other than a columnaris outbreak years ago in another tank, so I am posting this to get the opinions of those that may have seen something similar before. Because of the lack of cottony growth, and it's placement, (not truly a "saddle") I don't think it's columnaris, even though I know it can manifest different ways.

I did a 30% water change (tomorrow is w/c day, so I went ahead now) and then started a dose of Kanaplex to hopefully treat any fungal/bacterial secondary infection. Oh, and isolating the fish isn't possible - it's in a 125g tank and is as fast as lightning!

Thanks for looking ~

and one of the good side. You can clearly see the pale discoloration through the translucent tissue;

·
Registered
369 Posts
Kinda looks like a fish that has been stuck between a heater that turned on against it's skin and the glass or something. As long as this does not spread to other fish in the tank then it should heal if your water is good.

As for catching the fish turn the lights out in the room the tank is in at normal time(leave the lid open or easily opened) then bag the fish about an hour after total darkness has been going by quickly turning on the tank light to blind the fish temporarily. They will be easily netted then.:icon_smil

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My heater is behind a Hamburg Mattenfilter, so it's not in the main tank where the fish are. Fortunately, the water is ammonia = 0, nitrites = 0 and nitrates 40 (can anyone tell the difference in the reds on that chart???) pH is low, so that negates some of the nitrate's effects. Those are pre-water change readings, I don't usually do a test after the w/c.

Live & learn, but I have way too much complex driftwood to ever catch a fish in there - can barely get a net in there - and at 125 gallons and 38 fish, odds are I wouldn't get it anyhow. I think Blue Tetras are the fastest fish I've ever seen!

Since all the fish in the tank are various tetras except for 4 fish, I'm not going to add salt to the tank. Hopefully whatever it is, the Kanaplex combined with water changes and the fish's own immune system will beat it and the skin will regrow. Fingers crossed it isn't contagious!

Thanks for taking the time to respond Imi Statue!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but there is no heater in the tank where the fish can touch it. The heater is behind a Hamburg Mattenfilter - that's a wall of Poret foam at one side of the tank. It is a dividing wall between the heater, some filtration, and the rest of the tank where the fish are.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My heater is behind a Hamburg Mattenfilter, so it's not in the main tank where the fish are. Fortunately, the water is ammonia = 0, nitrites = 0 and nitrates 40 (can anyone tell the difference in the reds on that chart???) pH is low, so that negates some of the nitrate's effects. Those are pre-water change readings, I don't usually do a test after the w/c.

Live & learn, but I have way too much complex driftwood to ever catch a fish in there - can barely get a net in there - and at 125 gallons and 38 fish, odds are I wouldn't get it anyhow. I think Blue Tetras are the fastest fish I've ever seen!

Since all the fish in the tank are various tetras except for 4 fish, I'm not going to add salt to the tank. Hopefully whatever it is, the Kanaplex combined with water changes and the fish's own immune system will beat it and the skin will regrow. Fingers crossed it isn't contagious!

Thanks for taking the time to respond Imi Statue!
Nope not a heater then, It does not look like anything that bit the fish there. about all you can do then is keep the water clean, watch and hope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have way too much complex driftwood to ever catch a fish in there - can barely get a net in there - and at 125 gallons and 38 fish, odds are I wouldn't get it anyhow. I think Blue Tetras are the fastest fish I've ever seen!
Tetra's are indeed fast! When I've needed to treat or catch one or two, I do a water change to get to a workable level, then I sink a breeder's net, open side to the tank, into an open space. Then I use a net or hose to "herd" my Silver Tip and Diamond tetras toward the breeder's net. Takes patience but I'm able to catch the target fish eventually. The net covered sides of the box frame seem to fool the fish into the "shelter." They're schooler's when threatened after all. Cover the open side with net and lift to see if you've "got 'im" yet.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Can't help ya other than to say that I had a few danio with this, no one identified what it was, they didn't make it :(

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tonnik, that's a good idea - I will try that on my smaller tanks, should I ever need to!

Sake, sorry your fish didn't make it. So far this fish is still acting normal - the wound doesn't look any worse, tonight I'll be able to see better. Another Kanaplex dose tomorrow. No other fish are showing any problems, that's a sigh of relief.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Dont know what kanaplex is but maybe some melafix will help with the regrowth? If you think it is bacterial or fungal, jungle labs fungus clear has always worked very well for me when treating external problems. Try to bring the nitrates down, 40 is on the HIGH side IMO. Anything more than 20ppm is a liability, especially if your trying to heal sick fish.

It does look lile an injury to me though, rather than an infection.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, after I finish the Kanaplex round, I'm going to do a series of back-to-back water changes to get those nitrates lower. I think until I get a higher plant-to-fish ratio, I'll have to step up to twice a week changes rather than once a week.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'd say dose some something that would deal with fungus, i don't know if fish can get this but it looks a lot like human Ringworm, i hope this ends well for the fish!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
from Seachem's site;

KanaPlex™ is a blended kanamycin based medication that safely and effectively treats several fungal, and bacterial fish diseases (dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemica). Because it is absorbed by fish it is useful in treating internal infections in those situations where food is refused. It does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon.

Thanks, I will let you know!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sure you guys are more patient and skilled than me, but I'm not even going to try to catch fish in here :icon_wink so whatever happens in the tank, it's all or nothing...just bought a few more plants for the tank, I'll fill it up eventually!

here's a pic of the tank; (honest, there's fish in there - lol)

and some inhabitants; note to self - don't take pics at feeding time! lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wondered that too, and so I've been watching for any flashing of the fish. None do, so I don't think it's related to parasites. The sick fish doesn't flash at all either. I'm going to assume it's damaged form how rough (that means mean) the Blue tetras are. If I can heal any secondary infection, I think the skin could regrow. If the fish succumbs, I can only hope whatever started this is limited to that fish. Everything's a learning curve!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A bio bandage for a fish - I never would have thought of that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.