The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just started this tank and the scape seems somehow lacking. I wanted to go with something simple and I've always liked the grouping of different stem plants in the background but If I add more driftwood it will take away from the manicured look I'm going for. I have yet to add another plant species on the far left.

What do you think?

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is just my simple opinion, but have you considered a small patch of vallisneria spiralis or americana in front or or behind the driftwood? Neither grows very tall (about 6 to 9 inches). Once established it's easy to control and maintain and it gives a sense of height. I appreciate your interest in having a manicured look, but nature isn't manicured. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This other picture should provide a better perspective.
Tank dimensions are 30" x 18" x 24" High.

I'm putting a pair of Angelfish in here so I believe I'm going to need something like this driftwood in here to break up the sight lines. Maybe a different shape piece though?

I'm dosing Excel in this tank daily and its my understanding that Vals do not abide gluteraldehyde.

Plants are:
Hygro
Rotala Rotundifolia
Pennywort
Anubias
Cardamine
And I have no idea what that is on the far right,
I just kind of pointed and said "oh, and that one too"

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
If you need to have driftwood, maybe a taller stumpish piece that can stand upright without leaning on the glass. You could place the stump about a third of the way across the tank, creating a strong focal point which the scape currently lacks. I think this might also do a better job of breaking up lines of sight than having the wood all the way to one side.

I agree with the previous post about adding a vallisneria type plant. Something tall and grassy would contrast well with all those stems. If you cant do vals, maybe Eleocharis montevidensis or Crypt balansae would work? Some myriophyllum might also look good.

You didn't mention the crypts you've got in there, looks like wendtii maybe. If so, that may be a bit large for the foreground.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I do have one other piece of driftwood that I would say is stump-like so I tried four different orientations.

Option A

Option B

Option C

Option D

I personally favor Option C or D but maybe it looks a bit crowded?

I agree with the previous post about adding a vallisneria type plant. Something tall and grassy would contrast well with all those stems.

You didn't mention the crypts you've got in there, .
Those are just Rosette Swords in very bad need of a trim--all the old leaves died when I put them in this tank but they are growing prodigiously.
I'm going with Blyxa Japonica and I"m going to plant about 12 stems of it in the midground.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
The pics are not showing up for me.

Those are just Rosette Swords in very bad need of a trim--all the old leaves died when I put them in this tank but they are growing prodigiously.
I'm going with Blyxa Japonica and I"m going to plant about 12 stems of it in the midground.
Gotcha. Interested to see how that looks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.