The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy i finally decided to jump into my first big aquarium diy after cracking a side my 55 gal to remove the plastic n put on a glass euro brace. so after my stupidity i stripped the rest of the panels. i decided to make a dual stand thats custom for a 48x20x20 tank (80 or so) and a 75 so about 155 gallons. I just ordered the rest of the glass for the build and holesaws so i can link the tanks. i just finished trimming out, staining and poly the stain after about a week (wife hated me for that week), but its all done, finally. On the inside there is a pulley system for the door as it didn't want to sit level with the top of the door, just need to install a stopper and a dampener so the door dont slam shut. the original concept was borrowed from another forum for a dual 55 but i modified it for my own use.

Thoughts and comments besides for the mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i figured since its going to be the biggest thing in the living room it better be nice and with me doing alot of construction work id trim it out n make it sparkle. the stains i used are golden pecan and gunstock by milawax. the orginal plywood was birch but i didnt care for the grain pattern after spot staining so i stripped the stain and sanded that spot so i could return it for red oak. one big annoyance i had with this project is that i had bought sealed corner trim so i was ranting to my woman "WTH it wont stain its been on there for half an hour" lol so that kinda sucked that i dealt with that. the other big one for me is i wanted a seamless face plate so i ended up blowing 40 bucks just to use a small bit of it..
I just picked up my glass today and I'm waiting for my bulk heads, saw, and low profile screens but what do you guys think would be best. c2c with just bulk heads, just bulk head and screens. or c2c cutout with a diamond blade skill saw

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing i wish i did do is sheath the inside sides and maybe darker stain but over all i think it was a good build. i like how i forgot the door handle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts