The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am curious what you all put under your fish tanks. I set up a 6 gallon Edge on my wood dresser and noticed when I moved it (spilt water cleanup - oops!) that there were slight indentations. I'd like to prevent these, bonus if it catches water dribbles!

I was looking at no-slip shower mats with an absorbent dish drying mat on top. Do you think that will work?

So what do you use under your various sized tanks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
As a kid growing up I always used a piece of dense styrofoam because we had plenty in the house. Because we have just moved country I didnt have all my bits and bobs so I now have a piece of foam I bought from a pet shop, probably same sort of material as sleeping roll mat but a bit softer.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have the kids' 20 gallon on their dresser and bought a roll of kitchen shelf liner that I put on the top of the dresser first so that if it does spill at all it's protected. also a little protection for the wood.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Look up adhesive pig mats. It's perfect because it adds cushion and prevents liquids from penetrating to the furniture. It's designed to protect lab benches and walk ways from nasty chemicals.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just have interesting looking industrial utility shelving/stand... Nothing under it...Also have a nano 5 gallon on my glass computer desk...which holds up well...my girlfriend made a mat for hers, since it's on wood.

W

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
What is this for? To protect the furniture? I'm curious because I don't have anything under any of my tanks.
I think the main reason is to relieve excessive pressure on the bottom of the aquarium (so that a single point is not under excessive pressure).

This can arise from the fact that a stand is unlikely to be perfectly level (and the same goes for the bottom of an aquarium).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the main reason is to relieve excessive pressure on the bottom of the aquarium (so that a single point is not under excessive pressure).

This can arise from the fact that a stand is unlikely to be perfectly level (and the same goes for the bottom of an aquarium).
Agreed! For my very small tanks, I put a pretty placemat underneath just to ensure I did not scratch the wood. For my big tank I have two pieces of the foam garage mats to protect my hardwood floors from the weight / distribute the weight.

The reason I posted the question was for my 6 gallon Edge. It's on a hardwood dresser and so I don't want to scratch the finish and need an attractive way to ensure the weight is distributed better as on my edge there are four little feet at the bottom of the stand (centered on the tank) and they made slight indents in the dresser after just a couple days.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Home Depot carries some great, thick foam: sold as subflooring or also as thick rubber mats for a workspace. Think of a doormat made of thick, dense rubber. Works great and is easy to cut to size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.