The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Right now all I gave on hand is melafix, pimafix, furizon and aquarium salt. I usually have malachite green and copper too but their date expired so I need to get more. I suppose I could go without copper now that I'm not breeding cichlids.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I'm really not into using medications. They're no fun at all. It's a lot of extra work.

I have API General Cure, API Erythromycin, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Seachem Kanaplex, Dr. G's Frozen Medicated Fish Food and Levamisole powder. I'll never use all this stuff. I should have waited for the fish to get sick before buying it.

I have used the API General Cure with Metronidazole and the Dr. G's with I don't know what. The combination seems to have worked on a possible case of Hexamita in an Angelfish. The fish is still in the hospital tank for observation.

If the Angelfish turns out to still be sick, my plan is to put the Angelfish back into the display tank. Then I'll pull out all the shrimp and put them into quarantine after disinfecting it. Finally, I'll hit the display tank several times with doses of Levamisole to treat for Capallaria with the lights off.

These have been trying times these last few months with a failed filter and a sick fish. I lost three Otocinclus. My plants got holes in their leaves thanks to being distracted by the aquarium emergencies. Last weekend I had something good happen when I found two "lost" Amano Shrimp. Where were you boys? Also, my filter started working again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would definitely recommend keeping Ich-X on hand for sure. I got shipped some fish that arrived with horrible lesions and then I had to wait a few days for the meds to get to my house (nothing local), but with treatment I was able to save half of them at least. If I had already had it on hand I probably would have done a lot better, but with no treatment at all they would have all died for sure. (I did have a QT set up, so my main display was safe regardless.) I also have antibiotics (kanaplex and furan-2) and prazipro around. I am never totally confident that I am using the antibiotics properly, though I try to do my best - fish ailments are so hard to diagnose as a hobbyist. Ich is such a gimme in comparison - it's easy to spot, common, deadly, and treatable, so be prepared.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hmm, I keep API General Cure, and Fenbendazole powder as well as Seachem Focus, but those are mostly for treating my saltwater fish since disease is pretty prevalent in that part of the hobby.

For internal meds, I'd do something like Praziquantel and Fenbendazole. Fenbendazole eradicates Camallanus, as does Prazi. I've heard that Levamisole only paralyzes the worms, which...why would you bother doing that, just kill'em off. I'd also recommend some sort of anticiliate like metronidazole for other internal issues.

Ich/Velvet/whatever, I haven't come across anything that satisfies me.The cycle is so fast in the freshwater diseases that I'm not really sure what I'd do. And the medications recommended are harsh. If a tank transfer method for freshwater ich was available, I'd use that instead...

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Seachem Paraguard is my go to for Ich. It contains malachite green ( anti-parasitic/anti-fungal) as well as acriflavine ( an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties). The acriflavine is effective in taking care of bacteria that settles in areas where the parasite feeds.
Of course, most Ich medications will contain malachite green blends-- some will add formalin - like Rid Ich.
I use Seachem Paraguard as an antiseptic for all my newly acclimated fish to prevent issues with injuries to fins, scales, and skin from rough handling, netting, etc...
I then observe fish. Its interesting, with this one dose of Paraguard, I can usually tell if there are any external parasites not yet evident by watching if fish start to rub on objects as the parasites are bothered from malachite green. They will also "back up" or dart.

I also keep on hand:
Epsom Salt
metronidazole powder
kanamycin
praziquantel

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll be the one to say that I haven't had any medications on hand in nearly 10 years. Not saying that's the right way to go, though. I guess I don't add new stock too often, and when I do (including LFS, local breeders, online retailers, and eBay), I've just been lucky. I don't even keep a quarantine tank, though I suppose I could have one set up fairly quickly in a pinch.

I last had to treat for Ich in about 2007, when I was just getting started, and I think I just raised the temp and aerated for a couple of weeks until it ran its course. Could have done it faster with meds, of course. No other obvious ailments have affected my fish or shrimp that weren't related to water quality (I used to lose inverts until I got my hardness straightened out). I don't even have any snails or algae of unknown origin.

So, I'm just going to brag about that and hope to keep the streak alive. If I ever needed something, I could get it pretty quickly, but it's certainly better to have the basics on hand in an emergency.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I keep on hand:
Auqarium Salt
metronidazole powder
praziquantel
Ich-x
Furan-II

My Discus need these meds more than any other fish I have kept.

Reactions: Plinkploop and LTom

·
Registered
22 tanks, from 2 gallon to 100 gallon.
15 Posts
I have salt that I’ve never actually used, I got it years ago buying out somebody that was moving. I’m a huge believer in quarantine and not pushing stocking numbers.

Reactions: greenguppy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.