The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I have a 20 gallon planted tank and I am planning on getting some Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, and some other tropical fish VERY SOON.
I hear that for the fish a good diet is a high quality tropical fish food and blood worms, brine shrimp etc.
However, what is a "high quality" tropical fish food.
Do you guys have any recommendations for "high quality" tropical fish food? I can and will give the fish supplement foods such as brine shrimp and blood worms, but I just need a good tropical fish food that willact as a staple diet for the fish.
THANKS!

·
Registered
881 Posts
high quality fish food are just vitamin and protein rich food. If you have smaller fish you should look for flake food instead of new life spectrums. Unless you want to be like me and smash up new life spectrum pallets. Even the smallest grade that I found from new life spectrum are still big. When most people say high quality fish food, they often mean color enhancing fish food. I have 5 types of new life spectrum fish food. 2 graded types of golden pearl. Frozen: krill, bloodworm, brine shrimp tubifex worm. Live daphnia and live micro worms :icon_roll It cost a bunch.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am probably going to get some Omega-One flakes.
I have 2 in mind. The freshwater flakes or the color enhancing ones.
Both are quite high in vitamins and protein what do you guys suggest for smallish tropical fish?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I use the mixed flake blend from www.angelsplus.com..i think its called "the works blend" it has garlic flakes, vitamin flakes, growth flakes, spirulina flakes, plankton flakes, black worm and blood worm flakes, beefheart flakes, egg yolk flakes and other flakes all mixed into one bag. all my fish including cichlids, discus, tropical fish, tilapia, shrimp, crayfish, and hatchetfish absolutely love it.

I also feed freeze dried black worms from www.aquaticsuppliers.com the guy that makes them is the owner of SimplyDiscus.com and most of the people on that forum use his FDBW for their super high quality show discus.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have cardinal tetras and rummynose tetras and I feed them Tetramin Tropical Crisps. They love it and it keeps their color vibrant. Once and awhile I switch it up with New Life Spectum Small Fish Formula pellets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.