The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my cherry barbs are going to have a nice batch. I have a 1M 3F group in an outdoor container and they've been feeding on midge larvae, daphnia, and mosquitoe larvae for awhile now and the females are all very plump. And yes I'm pretty sure a good majority will survive since it's planted with a forest of lilies and the bottom is just large rocks and pebbles and sand where the eggs will fall unharmed...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I've got predatory fish so they rarely survive. Unless you have a specific need for them, leave them in the "host" tank and see what happens. OFten times this works better than anything else anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright then. I was tempted to use them as crappie bait or bass bait lol...My koi could also use a protein snack some time.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Please don't use aquarium fish as fish bait. It's almost surely illegal, for one thing, but that's one major way invasive species get introduced. You also can transmit diseases to the native fish as well.

I have a tank that houses carnivorous fish, they get the babies, and the shrimp culls, and the like. You can also euthanize them with clove oil, vodka, by freezing, or a bunch of other means, or simply by smashing their heads or decapitating them quickly and cleanly.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please don't use aquarium fish as fish bait. It's almost surely illegal, for one thing, but that's one major way invasive species get introduced. You also can transmit diseases to the native fish as well.

I have a tank that houses carnivorous fish, they get the babies, and the shrimp culls, and the like. You can also euthanize them with clove oil, vodka, by freezing, or a bunch of other means, or simply by smashing their heads or decapitating them quickly and cleanly.

Yah that's what I thought after I considered it a bit more. Not a good idea. I have a 600 gallon pond with two very very large koi (about 2' long) that I can toss the babies in with. They'll vacuum anything up. When breeding season comes around I normally see them following a my goldfish eating the eggs as they lay them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.