The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bf and I just got some really nice looking CRS, but for a couple of them, the white coloring is very pale/light. Some of the younger smaller sizes ones are very vibrant, and I am afraid we are not feeding the adults everything they need. We just feed them algae wafers and shrimp pellets ATM.

Should we feed them some Haikari wafers or something similar?

How about this? http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/proddetail.php?prod=MCF25

Possibly some of these? http://www.kensfish.com/product545.html

Please share your thoughts :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
A variety of stuff. hiakri algae wafers, tetra sinking pellets, a few frozen blood worms in a bluemoon, some Mosuara bio-stuff.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my shrimp get hikari sinking wafers, and sera catfish chips.
their diet is supplemented by the flake food that gets to the bottom.

i hear kens is the bomb tho.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Crs specialty foods are the best. You wouldn't feed cat food to your horse would you?

Mosura foods, benibachi foods, shirakura, shrimplab, borneowild, all good foods

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those who use Ken's, which type(s) did you get? There are so many to choose from...
I heard Hikari is good, but pretty overpriced.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have Ken's Spirulina tables with calcium. They will come out and eat it, but what makes them go crazy is the Azoo Max Breed and Max Grow shrimp foods. Nothing draws them into a feeding frenzy like those two do and they'll keep at it until its all gone (and it lasts 24 hours+). The Ken's they'll get tired of after a few minutes.

I also use EBI-Ken EI powder every now and then, crab/shrimp pellets, plus blanched greens. I'm a big believer in rotating through a number of foods.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I find mine go nuts over the tetracolor sinking pellets. I dumped some in last night and every single CRS went out and grabbed a little pellet and took off with it.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Ive never actually sat there and watched them for a long time but I will put in a pinch or two of fluval shrimp food and its gone in 8 hours. Compared to the size of the shrimps its a fair amount of food lol.

I guess I should give them different stuff however I figure they will get enough from bio-film + the fluval food.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Also remember that crs naturally lose color with age. It would be difficult to get an adult crs to look as nice as a juvenile.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Hikari shrimp cuisine - 50 cents per gram

Borneo Wild Grow - 50 cents per gram

Mosura - 50 cents per gram

Shirakura - 25 cents per gram

Shrimplab - 50 cents per gram

Azoo - 30 cents per gram

inverteBites - 50 cents per gram

Gimme a break, just because you only get 9 grams per package of hikari shrimp cuisine, doesn't mean it's cheaper.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
Not anywhere near as over priced as Mosura foods, benibachi foods, shirakura, shrimplab, or borneowild.
Again, I have no idea where you are coming from trying to compare pricing, but let's get it right.

The Shrimp Lab Shrimpball Cuisine (with 10% TPT discount)
30 grams: 0.39 per gram
50 grams: 0.306 per gram

Mosura Specialty CRS food
25 grams: 0.508 per gram

Shirakura Ebi Dama
80 grams: 0.313 per gram

Hikari Shrimp Cuisine (Cheapest I found online without 10 dollar shipping - and its usually more like 5.99 at LFS)
10 grams: 0.499 per gram

Ebitabreed (Exceptional top of the line brand)
40 grams: 0.625 per gram

I suggest you get your numbers straight before making comments such as these. It makes you look uneducated. Just because you spend 4.99 only on a package of hikari, doesn't mean its the cheapest. That's like going to costco and complaining about paying more for stuff over stuff in Safeway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hikari shrimp cuisine - 50 cents per gram

Borneo Wild Grow - 50 cents per gram

Mosura - 50 cents per gram

Shirakura - 25 cents per gram

Shrimplab - 50 cents per gram

Azoo - 30 cents per gram

inverteBites - 50 cents per gram

Gimme a break, just because you only get 9 grams per package of hikari shrimp cuisine, doesn't mean it's cheaper.
That's a lot of research there, good info though. I have had luck with the variety pack from Shrimplab, Mosura brand stuff and home made spinach. I wouldn't recommend the ADA brand bee food though.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Usually how long will 20 grams last if you only feed it one stick every other day?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts