The Planted Tank Forum banner

What do you do when you cant have a tank?

1378 15
I took down my 29 last may, and can't get a new one started until july... what do you do to get your fix.

I'm gonna try to keep coming here to get my "pretty pics" fix, but is there anything else one can do?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a hard time after I had to take down my old reef tank. It was in what is now the baby room. I was going nuts untill I went to my daughters k-garten class and found a mistreated 20 gallon that had a overly fed goldfish and a almost dying pleco. I asked the teacher if she would mind it if I could take over the care of the tank. She was VERY gratefull and pleased. After I looked around in the garage I found a simple T5 fixture and an Acuaclear filter. The original stuff she had was just what you get with one of those aquarium kits.....not to mention the impeller on her filter was missing a blade. So....some looking around, a quick order of plants, a trip to the lfs to rehome the fish, and a little time I was on my way. I've been taking care of it once a week since the beginning of the school year. It's been great teaching the kids about what plants need to grow....cycleing...fish care..co2....all that kind of stuff. I get tons of compliments on it every time I go in there for maintenance. It's been very rewarding and a great way to get my "fix" while I'm building up a new 90g in my livingroom.

So....My advice to you would be to ask around some of the local schools to see if they have a tank in need. If they don't, maybe you could ask for some donations from the local pet store to start a learning tank at a local school. You could even ask around on Craigslist. I'm sure that there are a bunch of people that would love to donate the fish "junk" (gold) they have laying around in the garage.

Good luck!:icon_bigg

·
Registered
444 Posts
Come on here and look at all the pretty tanks. That's what I did when I didn't have a tank after I moved out of my parent house.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why cant you set one up?
I'm in a studio apt, so i don't have room for it. I tried the whole "fish in the closet" thing, but my new place doesn't have even that much room. Also, i'm gonna be moving from Indiana to Texas in about 6 months, so right when the tank were to hit its stride, i'd have to restart.

I'm being REAAAAAALLY patient and waiting till i get to Dallas to start my new tank up. Besides, i could only do a 29 here at school, while i can do a 75 once i get to Dallas ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
1 glass cylinder from Walmart (held maybe 3 gallons)
1 bag of polished river stones from dollar store
1 Betta and 1 Bunch of Anacharis from Mom-Pop LFS.

Cost me about $20 and would fit anywhere. I used it for 2 years, which is the longest I have gone without a "tank".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.