The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I am a long time lurker but first time poster :smile2:.
I am a nano tank person and have been fish keeping about 8 months now. I have five tanks up and running, all stable. But I have found myself in a pickle I didn't think about. Vacation.

I will need someone to do a water change once a week while I am away and feed my guys three times a week. My water changes usually take about 45 mins total on a saturday and feeding is mostly straight forward. Except I have two ADFs with fish in one tank so they require quick spot feeding with tweezers. But have been trained to recognize their food. Whenever I start spot feeding one with the tweezers the other appears out of nowhere. LOLz. That usually takes me about 5 mins (only cuz I have to fight off the fish lol). I was thinking about posting a want ad on a classified site here in Calgary but it occurred to me I dont know what I should offer up? What does everyone else do when on vacation? How much would be a fair weekly price? any feedback would be helpful :grin2:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You don't have any roommates or trusted family members? No friends you could bribe or incentivize to help you out a couple times a week? I honestly wouldn't give someone you met in the classifieds a key to your house.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
How long are you going to be away? I've come to find that doing a big water change right before you leave, and then do absolutely nothing while you're gone, works very well. Fish can survive a week or two without eating with no problems. No food means less waste and therefore normal water change schedules can be safely extended a bit without worry too.

Reactions: goodbytes

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You could hire a pet sitter, or as mentioned, get someone you trust to care for them. Either way, try to simplify things so they do as little work as possible (less chance for them to mess up). Also, give detailed instructions on what to do AND what not to do.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've left my tank unattended numerous times for 10 days to two weeks and never lost a fish. And they weren't skinny and wasted away. I usually have to do major trim of the plants because they grow quite well for the time period. I wouldn't worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts