The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone always refers to plants as growing fast or slow and this of course is very subjective. For myself I have a list of plants that are "fast growers" and I am running two t-5ho bulbs-co2-EI dosing on a 40B. My scape finally got out of control so I hacked it all down and it's taking a long time to grow back.

So I ask what plants do you have in a hi tech tank and how many IPW (inches per week) of growth do you get.

My plants I'm worried about.
Rotala Nanjenshan
Didiplis Diandra
Ludwigia Repens
Rotala Indica

·
Registered
339 Posts
Any myrio's or cobomba will give an inch a day in low tech or 3 + in high tech.

Rotala's would be next on my list at 1" a day in your current conditions.

Those two I would consider algae prevention aside from duckweed which nobody likes.

If your getting no growth in a week you have nitrate issues I would think.
Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
My frogbit doubles every few days, and I had to put my cobomba under the frogbit to slow the crazy growth. I wish I could say my hc grew the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yea I'm getting an inch a week out of my Rotala and Didiplis. Nitrates start the week after the 50% water change at around 10ppm and are at 70ish at the end of the week.

What should i be testing?

·
Registered
941 Posts
the lily plant you can get from walmart as a bulb. fastest growing plant i've ever seen.

·
Registered
223 Posts
the lily plant you can get from walmart as a bulb. fastest growing plant i've ever seen.
Unless you're me and it never emerges from its bulb! I think I need to take it back...or contact the company.

The fastest in my tank is Myrio filigree and second Jungle val, and of course the top floaters - frogbit, salvinia minima, duckweed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My Cabomba used to grow faster than anything, but now that title probably belongs to my Giant Ambulia. Never really measured to see how long per day though.

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Rotala Bangladesh 2' per week
Frogbit doubles every 2 days
Ludwigia repens 2" per day
Ambulia 1" as you watch
Brown hygro 1" when you do not watch

v3

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm got any floaters or other nitrate suckers in there?

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
Other then previously listed I have Cabomba-about 5 crypts-and a sword that covers almost half the tank.

Are you saying that my 70ppm before water change is to high? Ammonia and Nitrite is at zero of course. Should I get a kh/gh kit?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you have high nitrate, good lighting, CO2, but slow plant growth, I would increase the phosphate dosing. Remember, plants grow only as fast as the most limiting nutrient allows them to. You can't make them grow faster unless you increase the amount of that limiting nutrient available to them.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would it make sense to not do my weekly water change and not add KNO3? Watching what my plants and nitrate levels do?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Any sort of Vallisneria. I get multiple inches growth, plus new plants. In two weeks, I typically pull around 30-40 new plants out, and chop 4-6 inches off the top

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think I'm having a similar problem as mike-guy. I've got Cabomba Green, Ambulia, Hygro Corymbosa, Glosso, Didiplis Diandra, and Jungle Vals. Good light (Finnex Ray2). Pressurized CO2. Nitrates are up around 40 at the moment. I've been dosing Seachem liquid ferts for about a week, basically just following the instructions on the bottles. Everyone says Hygro and Cabomba grow like mad, but they haven't budged in my tank. A lot of people say Hygro will grow like crazy in ANY conditions. Why isn't it growing for me? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The only plants that seem to be growing are Ambulia and Glosso. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you have high nitrate, good lighting, CO2, but slow plant growth, I would increase the phosphate dosing. Remember, plants grow only as fast as the most limiting nutrient allows them to. You can't make them grow faster unless you increase the amount of that limiting nutrient available to them.
+2 I had this experience for a couple months until I finally bought a phosphate test kit. I tested my water and I had 0 phosphates! Ordered some Mono Potasium Phosphate after that and the tank immediately improved. I could actually see a kind of growth line in my faster growing plants. Now I can't seem to get enough Potassium to my plants as I have a couple species of Hygro and Rotala.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I can say without a doubt it's not phosphates! Those are equally off the chart with the nitrate. I wonder if the solution I was given for my drop checker isn't 4dKH. My current method of dissolving the co2 is a ceramic filter that gets released inside of the out on flow of a power head and is contained in a bottle.

My drop checker once got to the yellow stage when I forgot I shut the light off manually and didn't come on. Everything was fine which made me wonder how much was actually in there. I might take the plunge and buy a Eheim and a reactor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts