The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new tank and I noticed that the first plants I added are developing "spurs" where the leaves hit the stem that go down vertically. I've circled a couple in the picture. Are these roots forming? Since they're going straight down are they attempting to reach the substrate? I don't have CO2 on this tank (yet), so I'm worried it's a dissolved gas issue.

I'm new to both planted tanks and this site, sorry if this is a silly question or in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You can trim the roots above the substrate as often as you see them. It will not hurt the plant at all. The leaves of the plants are responsible for more than just merely gathering light for photosynthesis. As is the case with terrestrial foliage, aquatic plants will respire through the leaves. They take in CO2, which is used in photosynthetic electron transport, and release O2. When you see "pearling", you are seeing the resulting O2 production from the plants' photosynthesis.

....and there is your plant anatomy/physiology lesson of the day! I hope I didn't bore you too much!

Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.