The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a loss.
I had 5. Left them alone for a while (1 month) and got 25. I took out all decorations last week so that adult guppies would eat babies: not a single fish eaten. Stopped feeding guppies so they'd get hungry and eat their babies: fighting ensues but no babies dead or even hurt. Now I have 35. I don't want to flush them but I fear I will have to.
LFS won't take them, friends and family super not into the hobby, and no one has responded to my 'Guppy Fry For Sale/ Free' posts.
Please help, I don't want to flush them.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I'm at a loss.
I had 5. Left them alone for a while (1 month) and got 25. I took out all decorations last week so that adult guppies would eat babies: not a single fish eaten. Stopped feeding guppies so they'd get hungry and eat their babies: fighting ensues but no babies dead or even hurt. Now I have 35. I don't want to flush them but I fear I will have to.
LFS won't take them, friends and family super not into the hobby, and no one has responded to my 'Guppy Fry For Sale/ Free' posts.
Our local Petco took mine..like 100's.
You need to start separating the males from the females.
2 tanks.
Some people add predators. Cichlids and Angelfish work good. There are others

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our local Petco took mine..like 100's.
You need to start separating the males from the females.
2 tanks.
Some people add predators. Cichlids and Angelfish work good. There are others
doubt they would make it but I'd take any and all \o/ but yeah a predator is the way to go for cycle of life. I do Angels (after a fully established guppy colony)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yea, guppies don't eat their own like a lot of people think and even if they did for how small their stomachs are they wouldn't be able to gobble up the same amount as they produce. I have huge colonies of guppies in my turtle tanks, they don't get too out of control because the turtles eat them. You might want to start advertising in reptile/ amphibian forums as well- I've had people with aquatic frogs and axolotls take on some of mine. Cichlids are an option if you don't mind taking on the responsibility (they are dirtier than the initial bioload you were expecting with just having 5 guppies).

The first step, though would be to remove the adult females as quick as you can. If you want to keep livebearers but don't want to wind up overpopulated I would just keep males as females can "hold" offspring until conditions are right for them to "drop" them i.e. a lone female can continue to have babies for months after being separated from males.

Please don't flush them. If you must please kill them instead. The aquarium hobby has gotten a very bad reputation because we have introduced many invasive species accidentally and the regulations have become so tight in some areas because of it that I'd hate to see us go the way of herp keepers in Florida where our hobby becomes effectively illegal trade.

I sincerely hope this experience doesn't ruin your opinion of the hobby and I wish you well in getting rid of your unwonted fry!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, many large fish owners and amphibian owners will take guppy fry/adults as feeder fish. You could consider getting a couple gouramis (probably dwarf ones, depending on the size of your tank). If you need to house then somewhere for a little while, you can set up a temporary tank using a tupperware and small filter. Wish you luck, and hope you get this tough fish-keeping problem resolved quickly!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your responses! The LAST thing I want to do right now is get more fish, so I wont be getting a predator fish like some of you suggested. Soon I will be able to separate my females and males, because I'm getting a new tank started up.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Agreed with all of the above posts. Something to keep in mind is that the females will keep giving birth for a while after you separate them from the males, and you're going to have to either separate the fry from the females into their own tank for later separation, or closely monitor the female tank (or else you'll be at the same point you were at before).

I know you said you don't want to get more fish, but it could be worth getting a single pet fish for population control. An angelfish will definitely eat the fry, but if you've got too many of those, then some of them are going to grow into adults and then pop out more babies.

Personally, I've been thinking about archerfish as fish eaters. You could do a single archerfish in a 29 gallon tank (really, you could probably do a 20L since it has the same dimensions), and along with feeding it live guppies, you could supplement with crickets, household pests (flies, grasshoppers that get in, etc.), and other fun stuff you find. Knight gobies may be another viable option.

The problem with a lot of fish eaters, is that they get big. Pike cichlids could work as small piscivores, but the smaller species are $$$. Pim cats would work as well, but they along with various other fish really do better in a 50 gallon tank.

If you're skilled enough, you could do a 10gallon nano saltwater tank, and feed something like a frogfish with the excess guppies due to guppies' ability to also live in saltwater....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thank you all for your responses! The LAST thing I want to do right now is get more fish, so I wont be getting a predator fish like some of you suggested. Soon I will be able to separate my females and males, because I'm getting a new tank started up.
Good first step. Since you have ruled out the idea of predatory fish you're going to have to be prepared to cull babies for up to the next year in your female tank or just try to get rid of your females as soon as you can. It will get better, I promise. If you do reconsider on the predatory fish I think you might find apistos are pretty little things that do a decent job of fry clean up, they're quite small so you can keep a few and their tail patterns kinda resemble guppy tail patterns. It took me 3 months to get my guppy situation under control when my husband and child thought it would be cute to see fish in my 40b when it was all set up but empty cuz I didn't have my stock list set yet. They put in what they thought was all males but one was a juvenile female with strong markings. I still have 3 males in there but the initial damage after the female started having babies 3 weeks later was about 10 fry. It was down hill from there as I didn't want to stress the livestock that I had introduced. Needless to say it's definitely a lesson in patience. Good luck!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Guppies... one thing they are real good at is making babies.. I got 4 last year at the local big pet store (was buy 3 guppies get one free). The sole purpose was to help cycle my 75 gallon. I have since given away over 200 guppies. I now have all the males separated from the females.

The extra tank is a good idea. Separate them early, and watch for signs of change in the juveniles. The males will end up with a modified anal fin (gonopodium). You can't always tell early if they are male by fin coloration alone. As an example, most of my females have gorgeous colored tails and dorsal fins.

Good luck!

Reactions: ichthyogeek

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so confused. I haven't changed anything in my feeding or water changing schedule, I haven't added any new fish or decor, and I've been keeping on top of filter maintenance. found at least 10 dead baby guppies. I have zero clue what happened. the youngest ones are already 1 month old, so I dont think it was just some birth defect that caused them to die. it was also very sudden.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you cycle your fry tank?
The fry had substrate from my established tank in their tank plus some filter media from established filter, but I didn't do a proper cycle. I moved the guppy fry into my main tank about 2 and a half weeks ago.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmm, that should be enough... I'm at a loss too, the only I could think of was a parameter swings. Are the adults ok?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are you feeding the fry?
Crushed freeze-dried bloodworms, seed shrimp, aphids, and crushed fluval color enhancing flakes.

Hmm, that should be enough... I'm at a loss too, the only I could think of was a parameter swings. Are the adults ok?
Yes the adults are perfectly fine, no signs of illness or lethargy whatsoever.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That is pretty odd... Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it. I've had some similar situations with losing fry for no apparent reason and i still don't know what happened to them- one time I had my 40b divided in 3 for my apisto breeding and the section in the middle had about 30% of the fry die, both sides hardly lost a single one. Never did figure it out. I'm so sorry for your losses, though it does kinda help your problem with too many fry....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Feed them to your angelfish.

I'm at a loss.
How do you peform 'filter' maintenance? Frys are extremely sensitive to ammonia and it doesn't take much to kill them. Also i would not feed them bloodworm or anything similar. Just the smallest touch of flake - better to under feed them than over feed them as decaying food is a good source of ammonia.
-
Frys will eat algae and other nutrients if the tank is well established and planted.

I am so confused. I haven't changed anything in my feeding or water changing schedule, I haven't added any new fish or decor, and I've been keeping on top of filter maintenance. found at least 10 dead baby guppies. I have zero clue what happened. the youngest ones are already 1 month old, so I dont think it was just some birth defect that caused them to die. it was also very sudden.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm assuming not since you have them, but are you spraying your plants with pesticides, and feeding the aphids from those plants?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts