The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added ferts and then looked at how much water evaporated over the last week, and decided there was plenty still left in the tank so no need to do a water change yet!

What did you do in your tank today?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Mostly I'm looking at it and trying to decide if I want to start a clean-up/rescape now by vacuuming and removing the plants I'm going to replace, or wait until some of the new plants arrive later today.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fed fish, checked ammonia (.25)? Haven't seen number #2 Oto in days.....wondering if it died? Why can you never seem to find the body? Watched newly purchased Pygmy Synodontis frolic with each other...considering getting a couple more!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Fed the fish, dosed ferts, shook my head t the surface scum on the new tank and counted the days until my skimmer arrives. Thought about how I can't wait to get my scarlet Badis, checked my levels, frowned when ammonia and nitrite were still present. Realized that I am dosing way too much nitrate for a low tech tank. Put that tank on my list of tanks to do water changes on tomorrow. Thought about the scarlet Badis again to remind me why I do all of this.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I did a 20% water change. Cleaned my Magnum 350 and added a purigen pouch to it to see how it works. Pondering either building or buying a media reactor and filling it with purigen if I like the results. I spent a good part of the day researching fluidized reactors for purigen have devised a plan I think. I also have come up with a plan to add an ati sponge prefilter to my emperor 400. If it works I will post a how to. SO I guess in essence most of my day was planning stuff to improve my tanks more so than physically working, besides the water change and filter cleaning.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Same thing as every Saturday. Trim plants, change 90 gallons of water, measure out ferts for the week, calibrate PH controller, clean glass, test nitrates, phosphates, add GH Booster, metricide 14.....and anything else that needs to done.

Then sit back later and enjoy!
So, I am guessing the "sit back and enjoy" only lasts about 1 hour before it's time to go to bed? LOL, just kidding.
Now that I think of it, I do about 60 some gallons every Sunday along with a "few" other tasks :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Installed a SUPER-Feeder.

http://www.super-feed.com/product.html

This is a highly underrated product. I think I could feed my fish for like 6 months with a bullet proof machine that can precisely dispense an accurate amount of food regardless if the hopper if 100% full or 5% full.

Small family company vs the billion dollar companies that make those mass marketed cheapo feeders. However even if they were not, its a top rated product, so far I'm very impressed.

I asked several question and the actual owner of the company responded to me.

I should take some video, this product is great for anyone who wants a serious fish feeder. Its must better then even my Eheim everyday fish feeder.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Installed a SUPER-Feeder.

I should take some video, this product is great for anyone who wants a serious fish feeder. Its must better then even my Eheim everyday fish feeder.
Thats cool, I'd like to see the video. I have an eheim feeder, which works ok-ish but feeders have always been a problem for me in the past. they get jammed easily then dump 20x too much the next day.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
40-50% water changes on all the FW tanks...dose weekly Flourish Comp...clean glass....do a 5% WC on the SW tank and do some re-scaping of it. Busy day :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thats cool, I'd like to see the video. I have an eheim feeder, which works ok-ish but feeders have always been a problem for me in the past. they get jammed easily then dump 20x too much the next day.
I have 4 different type of feeders and the super-feeder is by far the best one I have used.

The runner up is the the Eheim however it does not do well wtih flakes I have found. If you have it full of flakes, will require a small opening to not dump a ton to much food into the tank, sometimes they get clogged and won't come out at all and very inconsistent. When the feeder has like 20% food left, you need to open the door 100% open in order to get the same food to come out as you did from the beginning when it was 100% full.

Also, I have had the door fly open before and dump all the pellets into my other goldfish fish tank before. So I will actually tape the door shut on the Eheim to stop this from ever happening again. I had to actually pay for a guy to run to the store and buy gallons of filtered water to do emergency water changes.

The super-feeder has almost like a mini version of what you might been in an industrial factory inside the machine. There is a spiked roller wheel that will grab each of the flakes and push them into a moving slide. If I turn it all the way down, it would only turn on for a less then 1 second and only like 1 or 2 flakes would come out.

If I turn it all the way up, I think it will turn on for like 5 minutes and could be enough for a outdoor pond. This machine has a great deal of flexibility on how much food you want it to release and I believe it will be extremely accurate.

There is another adjustment of how much food can enter the slide which can be adjusted for larger pellets,etc...

Also, I have an expandable hopper on mine however if you want a lower profile, you can have this without the hopper( the clear plastic thing on top) and it will hold like 2/3 of a cup without it. The black top would go right on top of the machine.

This design seem to work a lot better for flakes then other machines I have tested. You can also connect this to home automation system, a smart home, signal replays,etc... I have seen video of people on youtube who can trigger this with their smart phone using the internet in addition to having a constant schedule. There are all sorts of customization you can do with this if you wanted to however you are not required to if you just wanted to to function as a normal feeder on a schedule.

I have 2 things for you to look at:

1. Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0YQmJobFyM&feature=youtu.be

I made mine release a good amount of flakes since I have a lot fish.

Google photos picture album:
https://goo.gl/photos/xhHqDGpqLVC7hXgi9

Let me know what you think.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.