The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to shine a flash light into my tank at midnight last night (this morning) and this Hygro brown was healthy and hole-free. Seven hours later and my morning inspection surprised me with this. What caused this? Is it nutrient related (it developed fast!) or was someone snacking on it? All other plant leaves are whole except for a few old potassium-deficient pinholes.

The only tank inhabitants are small to medium ramshorns, MTS, and some itty bitty baby pond snails. I've been dosing weekly low light EI dry macros and CSM+B and Excel (no co2), but only started this regime a week ago. My water is on the hard side: KH is 6 and GH is 9-10.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm thinking it might be a nutrient deficiency, unless my snails are suddenly chomping on everything. I've since noticed more holes in my other plants.

My new question is (and I realize the Fertilizer section would be better but I didn't want to start a new thread)... should I increase my fert dosing since my plants are showing new signs of deficiency? Remember, I only started dosing last week. How delayed are the signs of nutrient deficiency as they appear? Could these holes be a delayed result from 2+ weeks ago, before I was dosing?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I suspect the snails. Mine much on my Amazon Swords every time I leave town for a week and do not get their daily algae wafer to much on. The holes they leave on the leaves look identical to the ones in your picture... they seem to go for the soft parts of the leaves.

Perhaps you could try culling the snail population some or supplement their diet with a sinking wafer daily so they stay away from your plants. I cull snails occasionally by dropping an algae wafer to the bottom, waiting 1 or 2 hours for the snails to swarm it, then siphoning up 20 or 30 snails with a length of tubing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect the snails. Mine much on my Amazon Swords every time I leave town for a week and do not get their daily algae wafer to much on. The holes they leave on the leaves look identical to the ones in your picture... they seem to go for the soft parts of the leaves.

Perhaps you could try culling the snail population some or supplement their diet with a sinking wafer daily so they stay away from your plants. I cull snails occasionally by dropping an algae wafer to the bottom, waiting 1 or 2 hours for the snails to swarm it, then siphoning up 20 or 30 snails with a length of tubing.
Hmm, maybe it is them after all. I haven't been feeding anything to them and they've been content munching on the glass biofilm and especially my driftwood, but I suppose the driftwood buffet could be low on tasties so someone turned a tooth to the plants.

I'll throw in a sinking wafer to keep them happy and perhaps cull some more. Thank you for responding! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.