The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw something rather strange in my RCS heavily planted... jungle.

I saw what looked to be a dead female, with a couple of males feasting on her dead body. After I watched for a minute, I figured I would let them finish eating her and I wouldn't have any work to do. After another minute, I didn't like watching it anymore, so I attempted to knock the males off before I vacuumed her up. 1 moved, but one was still on. I then figured they would come off if I started the siphon, but they didn't. So now I have what I thought was a dead female and a live male in a 5 gallon bucket with enough water for them to swim around in. The male was still grabbing the female like he was in the tank. So I got my brine shrimp net and attempted to remove the male, and eventually did. Although I did feel as though I saw the female move. So to check that she was dead, I picked her up in the net and she squirmed around! So I put her back in the tank, and she was alive. Crazy. I've never seen male shrimp cling to a female like that. They were hanging upside down off of her! What did I see? Were they attempting to mate? That is the only explanation I could come up with.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Hopefully your persistent male got the job done and you see berried goodness.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Urgggggg. I thought the mating process in shrimp was pretty instantaneous! Alright, thanks for the help.
It can be if the female flicks away from the male fast enough (she can still get berried it only takes a second). But i have seen them 'hung up for lack of a better word for almost 3 minutes. The females go into almost a catatonic state. If too many males get on her and aggression takes hold they will sometimes just attack and eat her. Seen that happen too. So yeah, that's why the females hide after they molt and run ragged away from males. Not pretty in the shrimp world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.