The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)

I'm trying to figure out what diameter Stainless mesh to get for a diy shrimp-safe filter intake. The holes have to be small enough to prevent baby CRS from being sucked up.. I tried to find the answer by searching (google, and here) but no luck.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
McMaster-Carr has a bunch of stainless steel mesh if you are looking for a supplier. They carry everything from 3" (76000 micron) down to 18 micron sized mesh, though the latter is $740 per square foot. They also have various wire sizes available for a lot of their mesh. If you go with narrow wire 0.02" mesh (about the size you're after) it's only $6 or so for a 12"x12" sheet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
McMaster-Carr has a bunch of stainless steel mesh if you are looking for a supplier. They carry everything from 3" (76000 micron) down to 18 micron sized mesh, though the latter is $740 per square foot. They also have various wire sizes available for a lot of their mesh. If you go with narrow wire 0.02" mesh (about the size you're after) it's only $6 or so for a 12"x12" sheet.
Thanks for that info! I'll him look him up. :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Do you need stainless steel mesh or would normal screen type material work as well?
People use stainless mesh for this because window screen is too large. If you could find finer mesh window screen it probably still wouldn't be the best plan, as fiberglass is going to be awfully flexible and aluminum would tend to corrode (not a bit deal for a solid piece of aluminum, but a little corrosion on each tiny wire would effectively clog it.)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So confusing.. I'm afraid I'll order it and do it wrong.. :( Is anyone selling a proven SS mesh size on here?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
People use stainless mesh for this because window screen is too large. If you could find finer mesh window screen it probably still wouldn't be the best plan, as fiberglass is going to be awfully flexible and aluminum would tend to corrode (not a bit deal for a solid piece of aluminum, but a little corrosion on each tiny wire would effectively clog it.)
I just wrapped the window mesh around twice and it essentially made smaller holes by overlapping. Its a high grade plastic window mesh from my the place my roomie works at making custom windows and doors, so they use high grade stuff for custom work. Its incredibly strong as its animal proof grade stuff that dogs and cats can't claw or poke their head through.

I was reading another thread on here somewhere about someone wanting to use stainless steel screws to hold wood together and some said they have tried every kind of stainless steel out there for screws upto super high grade stuff and after a while of being fully submersed, it will rust regardless, so thats why I was wondering about the stainless steel mesh as well.

I'm use the screen as a prefilter over my intakes to prevent any baby shrimp (should have females hatching soon) from being sucked in. I've tried DIY sponges, Rena prefilter sponges, other brands and they all clog eventually too fast so I switched to this for now as a trial.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.