The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My moneywort also has smaller leaves that bend downwards...Whats the problem? I dose using the EI method...HELP!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking it was calcium too, I just wanted some other opinions.....Yes, I need to remove those algae covered leaves..Any1 else have an opinion?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt it's K, I dose 3/4 tsp Kno3 and 1/4 tsp of k 3 times a week...
Heres my dosing schedule so far...

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/4 tsp. KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/4 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace 3x a week
75-80% weekly water change

I have very soft water...0 kh, 0 gh, ph-6.0
I have Kent liquid calcium, I just don't know exactly how much to dose.
I also add 2 tbs of epsom salts after water change...I need help..

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bumpity bump....

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
CO2 and Ca++

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Co2? According to my drop checker I have 30ppm...

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
get that KH up to 2° or 3°... and GH
your plants need calcium & magnesium.

adding calcium carbonate will raise both... and some epson salt of course.
I honestly don't know how some of you guys are getting away with 0KH & 0GH... The high CO2 lowers GH, I believe.. The acids dissolves Calcium.

You can put a few oyster shells in your tank to keep things stable and not worry about adding calcium all the time because the CO2/acids will eat at the shells and release Calcium into the water column.

Oh ps. you might as well trim off the deformed leaves and let the plant grow new healthy leaves.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I've been told that having scrappy, algae-covered older leaves is a result of not enough co2. Just a thought. You've got a lot of light over the tank, so maybe try bumbing hte co2 up unless it bothers the fish.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read that article and didn't see anything about Co2 lowering Gh.....

"Ways to reduce gH

Adding peat moss to your filter
Use commercially available water softening pillows or a water softener (this removes calcium and magnesium ions and replaces them with sodium ions. Many people feels that this is an unacceptable method of softening water as many fish that prefer soft water don’t like sodium either.
Mixing tap water with reverse osmosis (RO) water."

I can't find anything on the internet about Co2 lowering Gh...Maybe Rex will chime in with his opinion...

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I read that article and didn't see anything about Co2 lowering Gh.....

"Ways to reduce gH

Adding peat moss to your filter
Use commercially available water softening pillows or a water softener (this removes calcium and magnesium ions and replaces them with sodium ions. Many people feels that this is an unacceptable method of softening water as many fish that prefer soft water don’t like sodium either.
Mixing tap water with reverse osmosis (RO) water."

I can't find anything on the internet about Co2 lowering Gh...Maybe Rex will chime in with his opinion...
my bad... I was half a sleep. I guess I was looking at the ways to lower KH.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.