The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is the first photo supposed to be before and the second one after ?

What are the water parameters and what do you dose ? Could you tell us a little bit about your setup ( light, age, CO2, fertilization, fish load, etc ) maybe also include a photo. And if possible describe in words what exactly do you see and on what leaves (old, new, starting from the tip of the leaf etc.)

Without those it is just a guess in the dark but the white leaf could be a Mg deficiency ( is your GH low ?). I also see a good amount of green spot algae so maybe PO4 is low.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Is this the only plant in the tank showing symptoms?

Do you have other species showing similar symptoms?

What fertilizers are you adding and how much?

How big is your tank?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tank size: 36"x12"x19"
Light:36" finnex stingray, on from 11:30am-6pm
Plants: Java fern and anubia nana
Stocklist
1x electric blue acara
6x male congo tetra
5x sterbai cory
1x LF calico BN pleco

Water parameters
KH:5
GH:5
Ammonia:0-0.25 (in between those colors)
PO4:0.25
NO3: 10
Note plants are not the priority for this tank, that is why I chose java fern and anubias. I merely wanted low demanding plants just to accent the driftwood in the tank.

·
Planted Tanker
6,080 Posts
Are you dosing anything or relying on fish poop?

If it's the latter, go to wal-mart or any pet store and grab some Tetra FloraPride. It has potassium and iron. Those will be the first two things most likely in short supply.

Otherwise need to specify what you are currently dosing, and better pics would help.

·
Planted Tanker
6,080 Posts
If by Flourish you mean Flourish Comprehensive, for all practical purposes that is providing the same thing as Trace. you dont need both.

Even though Flourish Comp lists macros among the ingredients (N,P,K) the amounts are negligible, virtually zero.

Therefore, what is lacking in your fert regime is nitrogen and phosphorous.

PO4:0.25
NO3: 10

Assuming your test kit is accurate, which is doubtful unless you've calibrated it, P seems the most likely candidate, 1 or 2 ppm would be more like it.

Personally I would ditch the trace and begin adding both N and P. Flourish sells them separately. Following the directions should be fine for a sparsely planted low tech aquarium.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, well I plan on buying dry ferts to use for my dirted planted tanks and probably dose it on this tank as well, so I will update you guys once I get those in. I will be buying from Grennlearfaquariums.com and will be doing the pps-pro dosing regimen for all my tanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.