The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I started up a new 57g tank about five weeks ago. I seeded it with established filter media, waited about 3 weeks to stock it, then started small with a couple of RCS. Those guys did fine, so about two weeks ago I added ten amanos and a half dozen otos. The amanos have started dying off like flies. My first guess was water quality, of course, but the ammonia is zero, and the RCS and otos are doing fine. In my experience, both of those are way more sensitive to bad water than Amanos.

What could be going on? The only "symptoms" I've seen is occasional jerky twitching and darting about.

Here's some other info:
  • Substrate is aquasoil
  • Running pressurized CO2 aggressively, but Otos aren't gasping
  • pH is about 6.4 when the CO2 is going
  • Nitrates are 10-20 ppm
  • Phosphate is 1-2 ppm
  • Using Seachem Flourish for micros
  • Not dosing excel
  • High light
Any ideas?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
IME RCS are more resilient than Amanos. One thing to check would be Ammonium/Nitrite levels. Another likely possibility is that you are just gassing them. 6.4 is a fairly low pH for Amanos. Not saying they can't live at that level, but they might do better a bit closer to neutral.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After all the work I went through to build a kick-ass CO2 reactor and needle-precise regulator...I have to dial it back? And give up on the pretty end-of-day pearling? Say it ain't so. My plants may revolt.

But seriously: I thought Otos would be more sensitive than RCS or Amanos. And I must admit that I can't be sure what my actual CO2 levels are. I can't read those pH tests very well. But my drop checkers are pretty yellow.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drop checkers - I have two, are both lime green, no tinge of yellow. (I.e. if I weren't having shrimp trouble, I'd push the CO2 up a bit.) I measured kH at 2.5, pH around 6.5, so that is in the green zone for CO2.

Again, though, every other critter in the tank is fine--Otos, CRS, espe's rasboras...no problems with any of them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
RCS are pretty hardy and there's tons of conditions that they can live in that would probably make any other type of shrimp keel over.

A pretty safe rule to go by is to not gas any tanks that may hold shrimp you care about, even if you're extremely knowledgeable about C02 and all that other stuff...at the end of the day it's just another series of variables that can go wrong in addition to all the others inherent in every fish tank.

And even if you're technically within survivable parameters...creatures like shrimp are still a lot more temperamental and there's the completely logical possibility that your drop checkers are just plain off.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RCS are pretty hardy and there's tons of conditions that they can live in that would probably make any other type of shrimp keel over.
But these are CRS, not RCS (what annoyingly similar acronyms!)--which I'm told are much more delicate than cherries, and more delicate than amanos.

·
Registered
993 Posts
When I had random amano deaths a few years ago, I read of two possible reasons -- copper overdose and calcium deficiency.

You'd have to be dumping a crazy amount of Seachem Flourish to copper overdose the tank. I'm currently doing 15mL on my 65g every other day, no problems with amanos.

Calcium deficiency shouldn't be a problem if you're dosing GH booster. Do you have snails in the tank? How are their shells? I've had snails with almost clear shells in my high-light pressurized CO2 tank before, prior to switching from potassium sulfate to GH booster.

Also, your pH and CO2 should be ok. In my tank, my pH drops all the way to 6.2 when CO2 is on. My tank water is at 7.7 if I put some aside to de-gas / age for 48 hours.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's the temp in the tank?
Temp is 73 degrees or so.

I have a 22 amanos in my 95G with a ph of 5.5-6. EI dosing and only 1 died due to shipping.
pH while CO2 is on is about 6.4. After a day with the CO2 off it is about 7. I bet it will go a bit higher if I leave it off another day.

I watched some of the living shrimp closely. They seem to be moving their arms and mouthparts around an awful lot, but not walking around as they do it (which the amanos in my other tank do) and not obviously going after food. It's all very frustrating since the Espeiis, otos, and CRS seem totally happy.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
its especially frustrating to me since you got your stock from me!! I wish I had an answer! I guess if the ones in the "new/other" tank do ok, you will know itsaproblem with that display :(
If you're talking to me. :) it's okay. Haha but I think you were talking to the OP. Pm coming.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its especially frustrating to me since you got your stock from me!! I wish I had an answer! I guess if the ones in the "new/other" tank do ok, you will know its a problem with that display :(
Don't worry Rachel--I'm guessing this problem has to do with me, not the shrimp. I saw them looking happy and healthy in your fish room. I put most of them in the "safe" tank upstairs because I wanted them to live, not because I was testing them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.