The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late yesterday afternoon I just received some really nice amazon swords from Orlando. They were healthy and I inspected them before planting them last night. This morning, I found NEW brown holes on them. See pic:

Those holes wouldn't there yesterday, Orlando's plants were nice. So they developed overnight. What could have be some powerful?

My thoughts:
Fish bites: I don't have a pleco, and those brown spots didn't look like bite marks. I don't see any fishes munching on them either.
Light: Couldn't be light, right? Cause it light didn't swithc on til 3pm today.
CO2, Fert: low tech tank, no CO2. Beside, in 24 hours?
Water: My water is very hard, could that be the reason?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Like was all ready said, adjusting to the condition of your tank. Some plants transition much better than others. Some lose every leaf and then grow back. Nothing to worry about. I have had Vals that melt down to the roots when changing them to a different tank and come back.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I thought about the adjustment period, but didn't expect the changes to occur over night
Agreed. Seems like an awful quick period. Too quick to me.

Did you leave the plant out a bit before you placed it in your aquarium? Looks like it may have dried out a bit to me. If so, the plant will be fine and the new leaves perfect.

Mike

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agreed. Seems like an awful quick period. Too quick to me.

Did you leave the plant out a bit before you placed it in your aquarium? Looks like it may have dried out a bit to me. If so, the plant will be fine and the new leaves perfect.

Mike
I'm leaning towards the method of shipping allowing them to dry, or you left them out for too long. Those look quite a bit like dried out spots on the leaves.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning towards the method of shipping allowing them to dry, or you left them out for too long. Those look quite a bit like dried out spots on the leaves.
When the plants arrived, they were packed nicely in wet water tower and multiple plastic bags. I planted after soaking them in the tank for about an hour or so. All the plants were wet/moist upon arrival and no brown spots.

The tank does have high nitrate (about 40ppm, tap is around 20ppm), and high P too since I have high bio load. But can nitrate hurt them so quickly?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.