The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So which LED color brings out richness? I have my made for aquarium LED light from 2 years ago or so and I have some thin tinted plastic in various colors and was just wondering if that was cut and taped to the LED ( As done in one video on yt) to get maybe a better spectrum. Last year I painted some blue and purple wash over my 3 years old Walmart shop light LED and it did make it better on the eyes. But,that light was way too bad to start with. I mean,its a shop light.
Just wondering if anybody has already done it? I guess I can cut various colors and all that..but anybody already tried it?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
So which LED color brings out richness? I have my made for aquarium LED light from 2 years ago or so and I have some thin tinted plastic in various colors and was just wondering if that was cut and taped to the LED ( As done in one video on yt) to get maybe a better spectrum. Last year I painted some blue and purple wash over my 3 years old Walmart shop light LED and it did make it better on the eyes. But,that light was way too bad to start with. I mean,its a shop light.
Just wondering if anybody has already done it? I guess I can cut various colors and all that..but anybody already tried it?
Just remember you can only subtract photons, not add them that way.
Due to narrow peaks on solid color leds ( w/ a few exceptions) filtering will only work on whites..

Say you have a simple red filter.. Green area is what you have left..

rgb filters from pixels:

·
Registered
223 Posts
What you are doing is essentially applying a filter to the light source. This will only allow a specific color or colors to pass. So you essentially have lesser light in your tank. You would be better-off buying the RGB strips and using it if you are only interested in adding a color spectrum to the existing lighting for the purpose of enhancing the viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like Preeths idea. Any specific brand? Sounds economical way to boost "warmth and richness" to the color that I have that to me is a bit too blue-white. My Rainbows yellow color fades under them- while under my Hagen glo 40 watt's the colors pop. Only- those Hagen are getting very hard to find. Only T-5's seem to be able to survive the LED revolution.
I know there is an answer to enhance my LED's..I just need names!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
If you are too blue/white just
add 660 nm red.

.https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Plant-Aquarium-Freshwater-Roseate/dp/B01GW1VKL8
Sort of a t5 grolux led clone
Not 660 nm, has more blue, a little green,not exactly cheap but convienent.

5:1 660bm to blue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.