The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here is like me, trying to have a planted tank with cichlids. I've been having success, but due to Sandy I've lost a lot of fish and possibly a lot of plants, so I have some degree of starting over to do :\.

I'm still going with the planted cichlid idea though, just wondering what fish ay of you guys have gotten to work this way.

So far, I've had success with Blood Parrots, Rainbow Cichlids, Geophagus brasiliensis, and some sort of mild success with Jack Dempseys (which I plan on trying again).

I suspect that convicts, sajaca, keyhole, firemouths, and perhaps even salvini and other mid-sized cichlids could work in this kind of set-up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Alot of the ones you listed can work with stronger plants like anubias and plants like that. The keyholes, sajaca and rainbow cichlids can work in planted tanks so long as you plant the plants where they can't dig them up and give them plenty of structures for them to make territories. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sorta does....but I' asking what people have done themselves, not just for what they think can work.

I've seen a tank on here that was planet with delicate stems and rainbow cichlids, and I've seen other planted tanks with all sorts of exotic, rooting plants with big bruisers of cichlids. Hell, I even once saw a planted Oscar tank. I'm just wondering if anyone else is messing around with this. Or is everyone just doing the bog standard fish of planted tank keeping and not exploring new territories?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm a cichlid guy and have pushed the envelope quite a bit and had suprises in both directions.

If you're doing rosette type plants like swords and Crypts and Ferns, you can actually mix in quite a few. Worst case scenario is that you're going to have to place rocks around the roots of them to prevent the cichlids from digging them out. Every now and then, you'll have to replant some anyway. If you go this route, the following would work:

- Smaller Tanganyikans: I've kept several Brichardi Complex Cichlids, Julies, Buescheri's, Caudopunctatus, Altolamprologus Calvus, Compressiceps, Leleupi's, Tretocephalus, etc. Essentially, if you get ones that are not herbivorous and stay at 4 inches or less, you will be fine. Just make sure you keep your water hard.

- Smaller CA Cichlids: I used to be into breeding Thoricthys and Cryptoheros/Amatitlania species and I ALWAYS kept them with plants. Again, Rosette style plants and Ferns allow great flexibility in fish.

Tanks with Stem Plants: If you let the stems root down BEFORE adding fish and you put rocks around the bases to prevent digging, you can still do the smaller tanganyikans.

Lastly, I've done Salviniis planted about 6 months ago. They were OK until they bred. Then they dug pits EVERYWHERE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts