The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 65w coralife pc for my 29g, and was wondering what plants I could now grow. It used to have j.fern and a bunch of anubis in this tank. I sold the ferns (most of it) and moved the anubis to my low light 55g (trying to make an "anubis jungle"). I already have some Pink Veined Sunset Hygrophilia polysperma,marsilea quadrifolia, and some Ludwigia repens. they are all doing great, but I just like the advice of more experanced planter's.
Thanks,
B

·
Registered
75 Posts
That puts you at over 2 WPG which should allow you to grow almost anything. Cabomba might be tough though.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You can grow anything with 65w on 29g.
But it is not that simple, you need C02 to do it and NPK TE and then knowing what to do with it all.
Welcome to PT. :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
with that lighting you will need co2 and ferts. without them you'll be growing some nice algea.:proud:
Not true. You do not need CO2 with below ~2.5 watts per gallon. You might like Stargrass. It grows way too fast in a CO2 enriched environment, but low light at a pleasant clip, no pun intended. Another nice bush would be Pearl Weed aka HM or Hemianthus Micrethemoides. Crypt balansae and some Crypt Wendtii. I particularly like Lowcoaster (from Aquabid and a new sponsor here) Extra Tall variety which I believe is from Tropica. Another favorite in this lower light would be Hygrophila balsamica and of course any moss. The sky's the limit. And depending upon fish load, you might get away with light dosing of just traces. Just steer away from plants you want to look really red, as they usually need more light.

Also, if interested, there is a wealth of info available at rexgrigg.com

HTH and welcome to TPT. bob

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would knock the lights back to 10-11 hrs. max.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
i know, i just dont have any timers. i leave the house to go to work @ 8:30am and get home @9:30 and i feed them and watch them at that time. i dont have any algea problems or anything. is the extra light harmful to the plants?

B
No But algae will take advantage of it. Go to your local hardware or walmart(shudders) or electronics store and get a timer, best extra thing for the tank that I can think of. If you like having the lights on later at night (as I do) just set the lights to come on later in the day.

Cabomba is an easy plant... I have no Idea what you guys think. I grew it in 1.5 WPG It's a WEED!

-Andrew

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
They cost a few bucks more but the digital timers are pretty handy.The 3 prong made my Intermatic has auto daylight savings time and can program multiple on off "events". And if the power goes off you don't have to reset them. They have a small battery (L44) which keeps the clock accurate for a day or so.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I too, suggest cutting your lights back...have them on a timer to click on around 9 or 10 am and off around 8 pm or whatever so you can enjoy it when you get home. (personally, mine come on at 11 am and off at 8:30 pm)

As far as a 29g and the 65w fixture, you can grow just about anything easier if you do decide to add pressurized co2. I was successful using DIY yeast co2 as well with an internal venturi reactor (search internal venturi reactor and you should find the name Tom Barr). The only limit was on the sides of the tank where its a tad shaded...but otherwise, you'll be fine.

Read up on other low-light tanks and options that are there for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts