The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always done water change with matched temps. But after a recent visit at a lfs, non big box, the owner and I got into a conversation about what change temps.

He used the analogy of us getting in the shower and how we like it warm as it feels good.

He does 3-5 degree warmer with his water changes at his store and home tanks.

Anyone else do this? Is it beneficial?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Some people use cold water to simulate rain and trigger breeding... Personally I don't think it matters much unless you do a large 50%+ water change and even then as long as you do it slower and the temps are kind of close the fish shouldn't have any issue

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Try not to have too much of a temperature fluctuation.
We enjoy different temperatures because we're endothermic creatures. We can regulate our own body temp, so it's only our skin that changes temperature unless we stay in the water for quite awhile. Fish are ectothermic, so when you change their water temperature, you're changing their body temperature. Probably feels like either chills or a fever to them if you change the temp much.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Almost all (Opah are endothermic, and some tuna have a similar function) fish are cold-blooded (ectothermic) and their body temperature is regulated by the surrounding water.

Suddenly changing water temps (colder or hotter) are added stressors on the fish, so matching temps as close as possible is best for the fish.

If you seen the shock fish can go through when 10*F or so sudden temp change has been done, you will know it's best to keep temps stable/matching. Fish can tolerate a few degree sudden temp change though, although the less load on the fish the better for it. You can factor in the mixing of the water temps to the volume as well, so you actually know how much of a temp change actually occurs.

There is more chemistry to water temperatures (minerals, dissolved oxygen content, etc), but we'll just keep it simple and say stable/matching water temps (assuming temps are within the fish's preference range) are best for water changes. Unless of course you are trying to trigger spawning in certain species of fish.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so I will keep doing what I normally do then. I always thought it was the general consensus to keep new water the same temp as old water.

Which is why I fill my barrel, aerate it for a day and keep it temp matched to one decimal place, plus or minus .2 degrees Celsius.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It's not that crucial that you need to get it to match up that closely haha

Simply using your finger to feel the temp in tank and out the tap is fine enough to gauge the temp difference.

Fish can tolerate a fair amount of temp change. But yes, as mentioned, the closer the easier it is on the fish. Just letting you know it doesn't have to be that precise if you find doing it that way is too tedious.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not hard at all, I have a 300w eheim that heats my barrel to the right temp. I just check it with my tds/temp meter to ensure its accuracy.

Obviously there is small deviation but it's mostly plus or minus .2-.3

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
My geos came from Mike, finatics on Dixie road.

I didn't know they moved to Dixie! I thought they were still on Kennedy. Good to know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.