The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

:help::help::help:
So. Since day 3, I had small troubles with Spiro as it began to appear on my HC. Now, 2 months later, I still have this problem even (much more intense on my Java moss) if I tried fixing the problem with different solutions:

-Frequent large water changes (50%, weekly)
-One-two punches (Excel and H2O2)
-Hand removal
-Increased flow
-Lift my light 4 inches higher (thinking I had too much light)
-Added some Amano Shrimps (they won't even touch the Spiro)

Nothing helps. I am now at the point where I will buy some Algaefix to erradicate this type of algae, but I am afraid it will come back if I don't treat the cause.

Here is my setup:
ADA 60p
ADA Aquasoil
Finnez Ray2
Pressurized Co2 (2bps)
Eheim 2217
Small powerhead
PPS Pro ferts
8 hours light / day

Planted with DHG, HC and Java Moss.

Amonia and Nitrates are at 0.
No idea about phosphate levels.

Seriously, why the h**l do this kind of algae keeps on coming?
Please help!
:help:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Go with the algaefix. It's the only way I've been able to kill spriogyra that's been growing in my mosses. Remove any shrimp from your tank before dosing.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Guys I've tried algae fix in my high tech tank. It didn't even dent the spyro for me. Did nothing for the bba as well. I've done the same one two punch. Algae fix. Max co2 for a day without gassing fish. Excel treatments. Nada in results of killing the algae. I have however found balance between my dosing ferts lighting and co2 which has prevented it from all out annihilation of my tank.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
It appears to be a micronutrient deficiency of some sort. Once micros are added, spiro diminishes greatly, at least in my tank. I was able to get rid of spiro by removing as much as possible, then adding CSM+B regularly. It's completely gone now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the advices.

I will be trying AlgaeFix for sure, but if the root cause is not fixed, I suppose it will come back!

It appears to be a micronutrient deficiency of some sort. Once micros are added, spiro diminishes greatly, at least in my tank. I was able to get rid of spiro by removing as much as possible, then adding CSM+B regularly. It's completely gone now.
I do dose micros with PPS-PRO method (2ml/2days) . Should I dose a little more?

Yep, go ahead with algae fix to get rid of the algae. Secondly, reduce your photo period to 6 hrs.
Won't my HC suffer from lack of light?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im only recommending EI dosing because there could be an imbalance in your ferts you're unaware of. I've never dosed pps though so im sure you have a better idea of what you're doing there. When I switched to EI dosing all my algae issues disappeared

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im only recommending EI dosing because there could be an imbalance in your ferts you're unaware of. I've never dosed pps though so im sure you have a better idea of what you're doing there. When I switched to EI dosing all my algae issues disappeared
I will keep that in mind, but I will keep that as a last resort method since I really like the simplicity of PPS-Pro ;) Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Too much light is really possible. The fixture is now 4" higher.

I was expecting the HC to spread much faster (and take more light and nutrients). It almost didn't spread in over a month...

Also, my drop checker is usually pretty yellowish, which leads me to think that Co2 levels are not that low... right?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I would suggest to either reduce the light intensity or addd more plants, you need more plant mass. You can just add some fast growing plants to balance your tank, and once it is balanced and the plants you want to keep have begun to grow to the right pace, just get rid of the ones you don't want. I have done that several times and worked for me.

Of course you must be sure to have enough nutrients in the water to avoid any deficiencies. EI works best for that.

Your Co2 looks good to me, but if you know how much is your PH drop, that will give you a better measure of the amount of Co2 you have than the drop checker.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks Fablau, I will look at the option of adding some fast growing plants for a while.

I will check tonight if my Nitrates are really a 0, but they are, what is a good method to boost Nitrate?
If you have animals, they should produce waste from feeding and excretion. If not, either "ghost" feed as if you had animals and let the food decompose, or just put a small amount of ammonia in (again just a little bit, as if it were decomposed food).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.