The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have had a couple of anubia to rot. The latest one was a large bartari in which the rhizome was around 8 or 9 inches long. The It had long roots and was planted in the substrate such that the rhizome was at least 1.5 inches above the substrate. In this case the middle of the rhizome rotted - the rot area was around 1.5 inches long and i cut it out giving me two smaller plants but this is the third time in recent memory (this past year) an anubia has rotted and i'm not sure what is causing it to happen. I know that if the rhizome is in the substrate that can trigger rot but in all three cases the rhizome was well above the substrate - in one of the cases it was 'planted' in a piece of wood with the rhizome growing along the wood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Supposedly there is a bacterial infection which affects Anubias, i've read loads of posts of random dieback. It's possible that you have it and there is currently no cure but you could try growing emersed for a while to see if it recovers. ta.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hum. Well i best keep an eye on it now that i've trimed away the rot and see what happens. I presume if i grow it emersed i need a moist humid environment and i can't just stick it in a pot.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doubt it was deficient - it had sent out several new leaves the past month that were quite rich in colour - also the angels had been using it for laying eggs ;) It was a plant that i've had for several years. I had a second nana anubia that was attached to wood that also developed a lot of rot - it was 3 years old but in that case i'm wondering if it had gotten crammed against the wood slab it was growing against - in that case the plant was burried deeper in the tank (a 120) and i only noticed when pieces broke off - i think most of the broken pieces were still viable. The plant in question is in the left front corner under the left most angel by the coconut shell.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Shot in the dark and straight from the hip- could fungus from infertile angel eggs have started the rot? I'm grasping at straws there and have never run across this scenario happening before but it just doesn't seem like something that would happen for no reason when your other plants are doing fine... Unless of course the other plants are out competing the slow growing anubias.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I'm not sure - but everything is producing healthy leaves - i don't have any of obvious deficiencies. A sister anubia on the right that is quite visible in the picture put out two new leaves the past week or two that have been very rich in colour and the coffee anubia in the back (not visible but larger than the ones in front has been doing well)

Woo..., you have a very nice and dense tank. You sure you feed your plant with enough nutrients?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.