The Planted Tank Forum banner

What can I put in my terrarium?

1528 10
Hello everybody,

My name is Michel and I'm a big aquarium fan, but I would also like to start a (small) terrarium and I hope you could help me with this. :)

I have an empty aquarium (20" x 12" x 12") and I would like it to use this as terrarium.
I already have 4 aquariums in my room, and I don't think my dad is going to be happy if I put another high power consumable heater.
I have seen some 9 Watt heat mats what could be an option, but I don't know exactly how many degrees it will increase my tank.
My room itself is at daytime approx. 68-72 F and at night around 61 F.

Does anyone have an idea what I could keep in this tank? It may be anything from reptiles to insects, all ideas are welcome!

I myself was thinking of a praying mantis, I just don't know how active they are, I find them very beautiful but if they move like 1" a day I have the idea that it will become a bit boring :p

(And sorry if my english isn't that good, it's not my main language :()

With kind regards,
Michel
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hello everybody,

My name is Michel and I'm a big aquarium fan, but I would also like to start a (small) terrarium and I hope you could help me with this. :)

I have an empty aquarium (20" x 12" x 12") and I would like it to use this as terrarium.
I already have 4 aquariums in my room, and I don't think my dad is going to be happy if I put another high power consumable heater.
I have seen some 9 Watt heat mats what could be an option, but I don't know exactly how many degrees it will increase my tank.
My room itself is at daytime approx. 68-72 F and at night around 61 F.

Does anyone have an idea what I could keep in this tank? It may be anything from reptiles to insects, all ideas are welcome!

I myself was thinking of a praying mantis, I just don't know how active they are, I find them very beautiful but if they move like 1" a day I have the idea that it will become a bit boring :p

(And sorry if my english isn't that good, it's not my main language :()

With kind regards,
Michel
You could definitely keep stick insects! They are fun, and all you really need to breed them is blackberry leaves. They don't need a heater either.

You could also keep crabs (geosesarma sp.) but they require a bit more keep up and they need a tank with 20-28 degrees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could definitely keep stick insects! They are fun, and all you really need to breed them is blackberry leaves. They don't need a heater either.

You could also keep crabs (geosesarma sp.) but they require a bit more keep up and they need a tank with 20-28 degrees.
Thank you for the reply!

I really like the idea of crabs! :)

And how about stick insects, are they a little bid active? Because I think they will stand at one place for the whole day and that it will be kinda boring after a while :p

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Thank you for the reply!

I really like the idea of crabs! :)

And how about stick insects, are they a little bid active? Because I think they will stand at one place for the whole day and that it will be kinda boring after a while :p
Depends, when I was younger they moved around quite a bit. They kept breeding and feeding etc. I remember having something like 20+ insects in a 60cm tank.

Crabs will be really cool. Check out www.panzerwelten.de, it's a site all for crabs. They speak primarily German, but have an English speaking section as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your ideas!

Still, I'm gone for a praying mantis, because I just really like them! :D
The mantis is now in another smaller container (+ - 10 cm diameter and 12 cm high) which is placed in the larger tank (with a heater).
According to the owner of the shop, it was better to first keep him in this smaller container so he could find his food a lot easier.
He is now about 4 cm, does somebody know how big the mantis should be before I can release him to the bigger tank?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.