The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is getting out of the hobby and just dropped off a bunch of stuff off. Among them are 6 tanks that he said were labeled "betta tanks". I've seen them before, the tanks are 12"LX6"Wx6.5"H. I can't really think of what to use them for. My only thought were bettas. Is it possible to house 1 Male betta in each of these? I would just run sponge filters on them along with live plants, thoughts? If not then I'm just going to toss them as I can't see any other use for them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You could use them for decor as aqua scapes. Alot of people keep small, plant only tanks for the looks. Substrate, a little hardscape and plants. That's good size for a Lucky Bamboo tank, for one idea. Maybe keep a betta in one or two to limit the work. A single fish hospital or quarintine tank is another possiblitly. Meds would go a long way in that size tank. You could use them as an emersed grow nursery. I saw pics of small containers used for this purpose.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If they have rims, get a screen top and put a rose hair tarrantula in em. Easiest animal to take care of and they won't mind the small space. It could also be a great time to flex some nano-scaping muscles. A betta would be the only fish you could put in them. Maybe a few shrimp for a shrimp only tank. Or as previously mentioned just have a planted tank with no critters. Ferts and meds go a very long way on tanks this small, if needed at all. If they are rimless, you can flip them upside down and use them as display boxes for cool stuff. Rimmed would work for that too but wouldn't look as sleek. Or make an open garden of herbs or something usefull for the kitchen. Or just an open garden with small terrestrial plants you like. You can do a lot with a glass box, have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So as far as fish wise, this acceptable with a betta? I'll pribably use them for hospital and quarantine tanks as well, which never crossed my mine but was a great suggestion.
Works out to just about 2 gallons. Fine for a betta; not a great choice for a hospital or QT....unless for a betta. Maybe shrimp?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I'd say that's about minimum tank size for a betta. It works, but larger is better. Decent QT for tiny fish, though, and a good shrimp tank. Or you could keep tiny orchids in it to keep them humid. Or tarantulas, I suppose. Or a few tadpoles, perhaps?

·
Registered
167 Posts
They would work perfectly to seperate or treat one or two small fish at a time. Just not for a school. Less water equals less medication for effective treatment. Some medication can affect water quality so it would take awarness in those situations.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Recommended minimum tank size for a beta is 5 gallons. I would do different color shrimp in each of these if it were me. Grow them, sell them and use the money to buy a bigger tank if you want fish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Or use them to store fish food containers, water testing bottles, keys, mail, and misc items that become clutter.
Since you have 6, you can also use them to organize your kitchen cabinet - we all have smaller items that get lost amongst the larger cans, bags, and boxes of things.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you look at it like you're rescuing a betta from life in a cup, I think a 2 gallon tank is a huge upgrade. With any fish, bigger is better for them. If you decide to keep a betta in one or two, I won't judge. Lol Some of those bettas won't make it out of the fish store alive. As long as you keep up on maintenance you should good. Maybe a mini heater to keep the temp right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.