The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently decided to get back into the hobby. Super excited to get back into gear again :D set up my dad's old 60 litre with a new filter and heater with a few snips of vallisneria and what i think is a microsword? Suggestions would be great. Also haven't decided on fish yet

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
A few easy plants like swords in small terra cotta pots with top soil. Or a lot more hardscape. Also depends what you want to put in, large fish would like that space to swim, small fish it will look kind of bare without some filling.

The large pea gravel will make plants struggle to root and no nutrients. Plants in pots will let you have greenery you can simply take out if its not doing well and be a lower tech entry to plants. You want soil with little organics (no manure etc) in the pots to prevent them going anaerobic, hence my top soil suggestion (vs potting mix which has annoyances like perlite and fertilizer pellets)

Edit: Put a thin layer of sand over the soil in pot after adding the plant to prevent the soil from muddying the water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.