The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I briefly skimmed over the whats that bug thread but didn't see it anywhere. It's obviously fully aquatic as it is just chilling on the driftwood in the current. Pretty nasty looking.

I just set this tank up for breeding P. Gertrudae, and ordered some plants to put in the tank. The tank is empty except some dwarf sag and the wood. No fauna.

However, I put plants from the same shipment in my 5.5 nano, with pygmy cories and fire red shrimp. Is it possible another one of these things got in there? If so, are my fish and shrimp in trouble? The bug is probably around 1/2-3/4" long.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. The only thing is that the damselfy's legs are much longer than this ones. It had short stumpy legs. My dad said it looked like a silverfish bug that fell in the tank or was hiding in there when I filled it up. We do have a lot of these around here and I see them frequently in my house. Apparently they are attracted to water and most areas? This bug looked fully aquatic to me though. Hmm. I don't think it was a damselfly nymph. Thank you for the reply though:)

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I didn't know silverfish were able to survive in the water. Sorry I guess it looked like the damselfly larvae from the other photos. Never had anything that large and freaky in my tank thankfully

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
its def a damselfly nymph!! I just took about 120 of them out of my tank! i used airline tubing and sucked them out.
Yea haha! I referenced your thread! It is weird since both the silverfish and the damselfly nyphs look like they have 3 prongs on their tail whereas the picture only shows 1. And it doesn't look like a "worm" more like an insect imo.

But either way kill it >:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just don't see the damselfly nymph!! Lol IMO my bug had much smaller legs and the bug was a weird silver color. It was so silver and NOT see through, it almost looked photoshopped. I don't think it was a silverfish either, though. All of the "nymphs" I've looked at have either been way too wide or way way way too skinny to be my bug.

Fortunately, the tank this was in is pretty bare so any others will be obvious. There better not be 100 of them!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.