The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Simple questions. This is my first planted tank. I don't have it set up yet. Their are so many kinds of bulbs. It is all so confusing! I am looking for low to moderate.

What is the best/good brand of bulb for a planted tank?

EDIT: Here are the measurements for both tanks.

30" by 12" by 12"---The 20 Gallon Long
30" by 12" by 18"---Looked up, 29 gallons

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either a 20 long or 30 gallon. I will get exact measurements later today. Budget, no more than 50 dollars.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Bulb Question

Good morning TheJade...

If you want to keep low to moderate light plants, lighting is simple. Go to the local hardware store and look for a bulb that's 6500 K. This light is a light blue color and recommended for planted tanks, because it comes the closest to natural daylight at 5500 K.

GE markets an aquarium plant bulb for just a few dollars, they're a T8 which gives you medium intensity and will spread the light over a larger area. I have these in my two 30 G tanks and they work very well.

Again, this is low light, so you'll need to get low light plants. I have some of the taller Amazon swords, Pennywort, Hygrophila, Anubias, Java fern, and a couple of varieties of Cryptocoryne and the standard moss balls. That's more then enough plants to cover a small 30 G. Attached are a couple of pics of my small tanks.

I prefer to use organic potting soil and pots for some of the plants. The potting soil fertilizes the plants for months and makes it easy to move them around if needed to take full advantage of the low light.

B

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good morning TheJade...

If you want to keep low to moderate light plants, lighting is simple. Go to the local hardware store and look for a bulb that's 6500 K. This light is a light blue color and recommended for planted tanks, because it comes the closest to natural daylight at 5500 K.

GE markets an aquarium plant bulb for just a few dollars, they're a T8 which gives you medium intensity and will spread the light over a larger area. I have these in my two 30 G tanks and they work very well.
B

Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.